• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

car stalled

ovlovturbo

I have a 1993 245 with about 179k on the clock, the car was driving and then stalled and now wont restart, the beep sound that it makes when the key is in the ignition and the door open is more of a beep whine and the lights on the dash are all lite up. could it be a dead battery or an alternator. this is the second time it has stalled but the fitsy ytine it has not started up again

I have a 1993 245 with about 179k on the clock, the car was driving and then stalled and now wont restart, the beep sound that it makes when the key is in the ignition and the door open is more of a beep whine and the lights on the dash are all lite up. could it be a dead battery or an alternator. this is the second time it has stalled but the fitsy ytine it has not started up again

How old is the battery? When you try to recrank is it a slow crank?

not sure how old the battery is, I have had the car for three years abd not touched it. there is no crank what so ever when trying to turn on, just silence

not sure how old the battery is, I have had the car for three years abd not touched it. there is no crank what so ever when trying to turn on, just silence

Battery is dead . a couple of ways you can check this all out. First off batteries only last about a good 5 years. sometimes less and sometimes more depending on which brand and how much you pay... and no that is not set in stone for anyone who wants to tell me they have run their battery for 20 years with no problems :wtf: .

Anyways if you have a battery charger charge the battery , If it charges full and gives you a strong crank then your battery is still ok . Crank the car and if you have a multimeter test the battery and see if you get at least 14v . If you are reading 12v then your alternator isn't working. If you don't have an Volt meter and can drive to a local auto parts store they will test if for you. If you don't want to or cannot drive to the store in that car take the Alternator off and they can bench test it for you. Same goes for the battery they can test it for you.

It could be a crap battery or a crap alternator .

If you need a new battery I would suggest any of the AGM batteries (Advanced Glass Matt) They last longer and can take more abuse.

ah ok, thanks for the help and advice on this. I hope it is just the battery! I will get it tested and report back, not sure when this will be as the work schedule is crazy, thanks again though, much appreciated.

ah ok, thanks for the help and advice on this. I hope it is just the battery! I will get it tested and report back, not sure when this will be as the work schedule is crazy, thanks again though, much appreciated.

Yea I hope its all you have wrong as well but If it is an Alternator have no fear they are fairly easy to change out.

so it is the battery and the alternator, I am not with the car, my wife is and she called AAA and I had them test the charging system and nothing was working so it is noth the battery and alternator. what alternator should I get?

so it is the battery and the alternator, I am not with the car, my wife is and she called AAA and I had them test the charging system and nothing was working so it is noth the battery and alternator. what alternator should I get?

The original Bosch 100Amp is the one to replace it with. the ones at auto parts stores will be re-mans . Sometimes they are great and sometimes they end up failing a year or so after you buy them but they are usually pretty cheap and carry a lifetime warranty. If you want an original you can post in the wanted section on TB for a working 100AMP bosch or try a local Volvo dealer to see if they still offer them . The Denso 100Amp will work as well . I have re-mans on some of my cars and originals on others. all of them seem to work ok.

got the car checked by someone and it turns out it was the volatage regulator and not the alternator. all is well now!

Back