• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty

Curious to see just how this plays out. Granted won't do a damn thing for me since I've yet to send anything I own to the dealer for repair...

Indeed, same here - the savings on DIY labor vs. Dealer labor would take multiple "free lifetime replacements" to recover..

It's the same scheme that the manufacturers use with remanned parts at the big box auto parts stores . Lifetime warranty but the parts usually mass remanufactured and its better to get you as a customer and cheaply make parts than to worry about you buying from them again. And as mentioned the dealer loves it because they can charge for labor .

I don't buy it to be honest it scares me away from a new Volvo .

The dealer just replaced the front drive axles in my XC70. The parts are supposedly covered under this new program. I'm hoping I wont still be the owner of this car by the time the replacements wear out.

The dealer just replaced the front drive axles in my XC70. The parts are supposedly covered under this new program. I'm hoping I wont still be the owner of this car by the time the replacements wear out.

That bad huh?

When did this whole thing start anyways? are used cars sold by volvo dealers covered as well?

No, I like the car. I just don't expect to still own it 125,000 miles from now.

well the "volvo for life" has a whole other meaning than what it used to mean. It means "keep buying new volvos from us " not " your volvos will last a long time" and thats why you would want to keep a volvo, safe, fun, reliable, and last a LONG time. considering the amount of white blocks in the junk yard I don't know if the long time part stuck.

with all that being said I still am planning to buy my wife a used XC90 . Hopefully it wont be as bad as I am thinking. I like the car though and really want to buy it.

We just started the program a couple weeks ago here in Canada. I'm a tech at the dealer. As far as I understand the parts don't have to be installed by us. A long as you bought the parts from us it is covered.

This is excellent news for anyone with 4c shocks. Replace once and then you're covered for life. If the parts are dealer installed, then all labour in te future is free for the consumer as well (we will get paid warranty book time for replacement).

White blocks can last just as long. So long as people do oil changes and general maintenance. This is a far fetched idea for most Americans as cars are a consumable. Red blocks were willing to run longer on ****ty oil than a white block is. We see a ton of American cars through te shop because they're significantly cheaper than buying a Canadian car. But every American car is an absolute pile of **** that has obviously been barely maintained.

Anyways. My point is I see quite a few high mileage white blocks through the shop. Two come to mind- a 96 850 with 800k km and an 07 v70r with 500k km.

Maintenance. Do it.

well the "volvo for life" has a whole other meaning than what it used to mean. It means "keep buying new volvos from us " not " your volvos will last a long time" and thats why you would want to keep a volvo, safe, fun, reliable, and last a LONG time. considering the amount of white blocks in the junk yard I don't know if the long time part stuck.

with all that being said I still am planning to buy my wife a used XC90 . Hopefully it wont be as bad as I am thinking. I like the car though and really want to buy it.

In the old days I took it to mean the car would last a long time and save your life in an accident. These days I think Volvo wants you to associate that slogan with safety more than anything else.

I know this forum is primarily devoted to red blocks, but white blocks shouldn't be discounted. I don't think they're really any less reliable of a motor. The big difference to me is that the white block is not as forgiving of neglect as the red block. Basic maintenance is more important for these motors. They will last if you do the maintenance.

A lot of the 850/XX70 models are now in the hands of people who probably don't even do regular oil changes. I'm sure a lot of timing belts are running on borrowed time.

Volvo has produced a few stinkers in the last decade. In my personal experience, the XC70 and XC90 2.5T models are both pretty reliable and durable. I would stick with the '05 and newer model years. Those have the better haldex systems in them.

The dealer gave me a loaner 3.2 XC90 that had clearly been treated like **** for many years. It still drove great though! It was very solid. I would not have expected that from its exterior and interior appearance. On the inside it looked like someone locked a rabid raccoon in the car overnight.

We just started the program a couple weeks ago here in Canada. I'm a tech at the dealer. As far as I understand the parts don't have to be installed by us. A long as you bought the parts from us it is covered.

This is excellent news for anyone with 4c shocks. Replace once and then you're covered for life. If the parts are dealer installed, then all labour in te future is free for the consumer as well (we will get paid warranty book time for replacement).

White blocks can last just as long. So long as people do oil changes and general maintenance. This is a far fetched idea for most Americans as cars are a consumable. Red blocks were willing to run longer on ****ty oil than a white block is. We see a ton of American cars through te shop because they're significantly cheaper than buying a Canadian car. But every American car is an absolute pile of **** that has obviously been barely maintained.

Anyways. My point is I see quite a few high mileage white blocks through the shop. Two come to mind- a 96 850 with 800k km and an 07 v70r with 500k km.

Maintenance. Do it.

In the old days I took it to mean the car would last a long time and save your life in an accident. These days I think Volvo wants you to associate that slogan with safety more than anything else.

I know this forum is primarily devoted to red blocks, but white blocks shouldn't be discounted. I don't think they're really any less reliable of a motor. The big difference to me is that the white block is not as forgiving of neglect as the red block. Basic maintenance is more important for these motors. They will last if you do the maintenance.

A lot of the 850/XX70 models are now in the hands of people who probably don't even do regular oil changes. I'm sure a lot of timing belts are running on borrowed time.

Volvo has produced a few stinkers in the last decade. In my personal experience, the XC70 and XC90 2.5T models are both pretty reliable and durable. I would stick with the '05 and newer model years. Those have the better haldex systems in them.

The dealer gave me a loaner 3.2 XC90 that had clearly been treated like **** for many years. It still drove great though! It was very solid. I would not have expected that from its exterior and interior appearance. On the inside it looked like someone locked a rabid raccoon in the car overnight.

I agree with both of you. I think they can be just as reliable engine but take more attention to maintenance and we all know that a big portion of redblock owners are hippies or cheap kids that either don't know, don't care or just want a giant turbo ... and because redblocks take a lot of abuse and still live they have gained the status they have now which is certainly earned.

I think a lot had to do with making better production numbers and emissions standard for the change and unfortunately you have to take that tractor reliability and durability out of the equation to reach the numbers they needed.

as far as "American's" not being good at changing their oil, I think that is a world wide occurrence and I would like to ask if you have ever been to the UK ! I have never in my life seen so many cars with valve tap and knock than I have in the UK . I don't even think most of them know that their cars use oil! haha :rofl: and if you ask one of them , how often do you change your oil a lot of times you get the answer... change my oil? :omg::wtf:

Thanks for the re-assurance in the white blocks though. I have been on edge about making the XC90 purchase . The thing that scares me is buying used . I can't afford dealer prices on the so I am getting a friend to purchase me one through wholesale. and it will be a 2.5t model I understand the issues with the T6 and 8 models. specifically the GM trans in the 6 and the maintenance nightmare of the 8 but the only thing I think I'm left to worry about is the angle gear.

Yeah, holy hell, this is a GOLD MINE for high mileage P2-R owners. CV axles, collars, angle gears, 4C shocks... Sure, you have to pay the up front rape fees of dealer priced parts... but one time. I'd be down for that to have the ability to swing in and say "So, I need this this and this, and I'm taking it to my indie."

My local dealer told me a Volvo dealer has to install the parts to get the lifetime warranty. It even covers little things like windshield washer sprayers. I think P1 and P2 owners can appreciate that bit.

Back