• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

lh2.2 w/ T5 trans swap questions... I've hit a dead end and need some help

89_740Turbo

I've hit a dead end and need some help in regards to the T5 swap I am doing.

Background

Car: 1989 740 Turbo, lh2.2, hydraulic clutch

Transmission to be used: 1989 World Class T5 Trans, no flywheel

Questions

1. Is there a specific flywheel I need to use that works with lh2.2? If so, which one? If not, can I use the stock T5 flywheel from 1989?

2. Is it correct that I can reuse the throw out bearing that's currently on my 740, or is it the release bearing I can reuse?

3. If I recall correctly, the bellhousing from a hydraulic clutch is different then that of a cable clutch bellhousing. My idea was to get the bellhousing mounted to the trans before I pulled the engine. Would I need another hydraulic clutch bellhousing to do this or can I use a cable one? Would they both work?

4. Can I reuse the clutch fork?

5. Do you know where I can get a cross member for a 740 w/ T5 or will I have to make my own

Any flywheel is fine. The ignition pickup is in the distributor. You need a volvo flywheel. Either dogdish or flat. Actually I have a freshly refinished flat flywheel PM if you want one. You need a volvo pressure plate of some kind and then a clutch disk with a mustang T5 spline in it.

Throw out bearing and release bearing are different names for the same thing. Maybe you mean the pilot bearing. You need a different pilot bearing. I believe you can use the same throwout although I think I used a Mustang one with some little round to square adapters. I think the mustang throwout has a little more depth. I kinda forget I did mine so long ago. Searching should yield some pictures of throwout options.

M46 bellhousings are the same. Different forks with pivot installed in different places. [a href="http://www.240turbo.com/clutchbellhous1lo.jpg"]image[/a]

I did. Used hydraulic fork. The throwout bearing is the same between cable and hydro so they should both work.

You have to fashion something. I used the M46 crossmember and made a bracket to mate T5 to the Volvo trans mount.

A 6003-2RS ball bearing worked fine for me as a pilot bearing. I picked one up at Fastenal.

It fits in the crank and has the correct ID for the T5 input shaft. You can also reuse the circlip to retain it in the crank.

The easiest flywheel to source is a flat one. Usually can find one for $50 not including shipping. Yoshibfab can hook you up with the clutch you will need.

Bump update with another question

when I go to look for a slip yoke online, a wide variety pops up. which slip yoke is it that I will need? 28 spline to work with the T5? Also, I don't need a drive shaft adapter if I am going to take the stock driveshaft and have it fabricated to work with the T5 right?

Last edited:
Throw out bearing and release bearing are different names for the same thing. Maybe you mean the pilot bearing. You need a different pilot bearing. I believe you can use the same throwout although I think I used a Mustang one with some little round to square adapters. I think the mustang throwout has a little more depth. I kinda forget I did mine so long ago. Searching should yield some pictures of throwout options.

Did your throwout bearing look like this one? https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-pilotbearing-302.html

Bump update with another question

which slip yoke is it that I will need?

Also, I don't need a drive shaft adapter if I am going to take the stock driveshaft and have it fabricated to work with the T5 right?

slip yoke: https://www.cjponyparts.com/driveshaft-slip-yoke-28-spline-t5-c4-aod-aode-4r70w-1983-2004/p/YK6/

Correct, if you are reusing the stock 2pc driveshaft, only the front section gets modified to accept the different u-joint for the T5 slip yoke.

That's a pilot bearing. That bearing goes in the back of the crankshaft, and supports the forward tip of the transmission input shaft. That's what the pilot bearing I used looks like in my t5 swap.

The release/throwout bearing is the one that pushes against the pressure plate and releases the clutch.

You are correct. I mixed up names!

slip yoke: https://www.cjponyparts.com/driveshaft-slip-yoke-28-spline-t5-c4-aod-aode-4r70w-1983-2004/p/YK6/

Correct, if you are reusing the stock 2pc driveshaft, only the front section gets modified to accept the different u-joint for the T5 slip yoke.

Awesome thank you for this! First time T5 swap takes a lot of research if you're someone like me who hasn't done one yet haha

Back