• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240: better to roll fender lips or cut them off?

I did this:

PA231153.jpg

With this:

PA241172.jpg

in no time at all. Very easy to bend

Thin parting disc, face shield and angle grinder sans guard it pretty fast.

Rust proof well.

Liner starts to become the issue. With good tires and even stock better of Volvo everything basically and a centered axle close to stock height, there can be light kiss marks wituperfect offset wheels in some of the undercoating. Just 205/55/16 geminis.

I suppose if you lose your mind and remove the crash triangles, and gank the springs with short shocks, it will have so little/no articulation whatever that 255s will be "fine".

I don't recall Volvo specifying tires wider than 205 section on 200 series cars.

Or hammer it and bottle jack it, but the panel will be wavy and integrity will suffer as well as create a major rust hotspot.

Or make proper body extensions on a unibody car...no small task. Good luck having it drive right in all conditions. It's a simple tractor car made for narrow smooth pack gravel roads and crappy rainy snowy weather. Deny it or accept it.

Last edited:
I've just fitted BBS RS wheels on my '88 245 - 16x8.5" ET-2 rears with 225/55/16 tyres. I've rolled the lips flat with a large metal hammer, just working slowly around the edge, little bits at a time. The paint is rough where the hammer was smashing it but from the outside you can't tell it's been rolled. No tyre rubbing once I adjusted the panhard bar correctly.

Seems to me you're taking a bigass gun to a knife fight. Thin cutoff wheel on my Dremel made short work of it. Much easier to control than the angle grinder.

I'd rather use the angle grinder with a worn down (smaller diameter) disc. It has a lot more torque than my dremel and it works well on sheet metal if you have a steady hand.

Either can work, though.

I had the same thought hehe, but I think I'll get a lot more use out of the angle grinder over the long run. There have been a bunch of times where I have thought, "dang, wish i had an angle grinder for that" If I need a dremel, most of the time I just use my big dewalt corded drill and it gets the job done OK.

They are handy.

My dewalt is good quality and not too expensive.

Good deal I didn't want to say anything but all that rake was wrong on so many levels.[pun intended].

You can cut them right in half and they will still work.
Like I said the line of the inner fender projecting down just about lands on them anyway.

I'd do the 'factory' trim and take it from there.

Hope this wasn't mentioned apready.

I used a cut down baseball bat and rolled the car forward and back, wheels/tires on, with the bat in between the body and tire. Worked pretty well but I was only trying to fit 7.5 Volvo fwd stuff. No danger of making weird hammer dents this way though.

Nicely done.

:cool:

Yep they seem to handle better loaded level or low in the back, unlike most marquee's that handle poorly as soon as you add more than a driver.

:volvo::volvo:

Back