• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wasted spark questions

So I think I have got it.
Just move ALL wires from the positive side and negative side of old coil to a modified relay.
Splice positive wire into the positive wire before it joins the relay.
Remove old coil completely.
Is this right?
Will a 30amp relay handle all this current?
I've got my Efan switched 12v also into this mix.

I will check on my car today to be 100%, but the only 2 wires connected to the
relay coil should be the tacho wire, and the (blue? have to check) power wire from the original power stage.

Your wasted spark wiring is separated from this.

The relay coil just generates a voltage spike so your instrument cluster can "read" the pulses.
You do not have to worry about high currents.

I will check on my car today to be 100%, but the only 2 wires connected to the
relay coil should be the tacho wire, and the (blue? have to check) power wire from the original power stage.

Your wasted spark wiring is separated from this.

The relay coil just generates a voltage spike so your instrument cluster can "read" the pulses.
You do not have to worry about high currents.

Please explain this further.
I have about 6 connectors currently which were wired into my ignition coil.
If I disconnected them won't some things on my car not work?
If wasted spark wiring is seperate, then where do I get switched 12v from in the engine bay?
Please explain with pictures as I don't want to fry anything on first start up , there is a lot of conflicting info out there with no definitive explanation on how to actually wire this up in real life

What I did:

coil.jpg

Take this blue wire and the white&red tacho wire from the coil and connect them to different ends of the relay coil. Remove stock coil.

In addition: wire up the wasted spark like explained here:

BuchkaWastedSparkWiring_zps39ff6e9a.jpg

I have about 6 connectors currently which were wired into my ignition coil.

No idea why you would have 6 connectors or what they do, sorry.
Mine did not.

In addition: wire up the wasted spark like explained here:

BuchkaWastedSparkWiring_zps39ff6e9a.jpg

No idea why you would have 6 connectors or what they do, sorry.
Mine did not.

Exactly. Just wire it up per the diagram. The stock coil will no longer be necessary so anything that was plugged into it (2 wires) can be left in place. Same thing with the factory igniter, anything that wasnt used can be left unhooked, in place. Nothing is documented about what do with the extra wiring because there isn't anything to do.

I would carefully follow the known, documented diagram posted above and turn the key.

Thanks guys I have got that but I still don't know where to pin the new ignitor connector to switched 12v.
I have a Davies Craig fan controller with led display that also needs switched 12v.
Can you please help explain the best place to take this from?
Thanks for all your help!

Back