• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Xenon HID conversion

If the surrounding was chrome it might look a little better. I'm just comparing it to the jewel lenses on the 850's. Usually the white 850's look better with the chrome surround compared to the black.

If the surrounding was chrome it might look a little better. I'm just comparing it to the jewel lenses on the 850's. Usually the white 850's look better with the chrome surround compared to the black.

You may have a point there. The inner oval shaped piece (where the projector pokes through) is just a piece of painted lexan. Around that is the original bezel. That was originally chrome, pitted, but chrome.

I can repaint that part silver & leave the inner panel black & install a chrome shroud around the lamp to fill it out a bit. Actually quite a bit.

I'll poke around a hardware store this weekend in the plumbing section & see what I can find.

your head light is cooler than the rest of the car!

IMHO the 780 is one of the coolest cars Volvo made. Perhaps not p1800 cool, but cooler than the previous attempt at the Bertone & a whole lot sexier than the other 700 series units.

Not as gangster looking as the 9xx/S/V90, and not as plebeian as the 850/SV70s.

CYBORG EYE. Lookin' good there, at first I was skeptical, but it's turning out alright.

heh, a borg Volvo. Wonder what that'd look like. "I am Bertone of Borg"

I stopped for now working on it, started on the rear swaybar.

Eventually I'll start on it again.

maybe some chrome paint
Lamps5-8-08001.jpg

I really like it man. Hope you finish the right side. Id really like to see the mock up!!! keep up the good work.

maybe some chrome paint

Actually, what I was going to do is change the the center oval portion (around the lamp) mirrored & leave the area around that black. I got that idea from an '08 'stang.

I may also make the bezel white to match the car.

But I'm also thinking of making the car 2-toned black & white.

like this
volvoblk.jpg

Dunno yet.

I have everything to finish the lights, except the motivation.

Johnny5.jpg

This is what came to mind when i saw it on the car...i think it would look sweet with the car twotoned like that...but just as a white car..im not sure. Maybe if you blacked out the grill border?

maybe some chrome paint
Lamps5-8-08001.jpg
looks better, but I dont like the fact that the bulb is SO VERY visible.
eg. cant one have a mirror in front of it, so it reflects the light back into the OEM light bucket? I know the H1 lights usually ahve this, so you dont get the "direct light" effect by looking at the bulb.

It might steal some light and maybe it doesent work for xeon? I dunno... but I would atleast try it with an OEM bucket and a mirror , or a polished SS plate.

Look what I did today.

looks better, but I dont like the fact that the bulb is SO VERY visible.
eg. cant one have a mirror in front of it, so it reflects the light back into the OEM light bucket? I know the H1 lights usually ahve this, so you dont get the "direct light" effect by looking at the bulb.

It might steal some light and maybe it doesent work for xeon? I dunno... but I would atleast try it with an OEM bucket and a mirror , or a polished SS plate.

I took it to heart...

I bought 5.25 sq ft of this:
Lamps8-19-08002.jpg

What it doesn't tell you is it's mirrored acrylic.

After some work I get this result:

Lamps8-19-08013.jpg

Note, the addition of a bezel. From Ace Hardware. It's a 2" plumbing flange. I may use a larger one I got from a pool supply place. Same idea, only 6" across:

Lamps8-19-08017.jpg

Lamps8-19-08018.jpg

The whole process was overseen by Spike:
Lamps8-19-08019.jpg

The shop forman. Don't f*** with spike. :grrr:

Once I have time, I'll fit it to the car.

I'm also going to forgo the halo thing. I think it's over done.

I've also completed the passenger side lens so I can finish that lamp soon too.

Last edited:
Any more updates? This is hot! I LOVE the look!

I've decided that piecing the lenses together is too ghetto.

I'm going to make molds of the stock glass & then vacuum mold the lenses out of one piece of acrylic.

I just need a day when the wife isn't home so I can use the oven. ;-)

Back