• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 replace M47 reverse switch - how to access?

Mechanical repair is, because most of the time we can see it, and when we can't the drawings in the books are easy to interpret.

Electrical repair is full of pitfalls according to one's experience with electricity. Terms like "short," "continuity," "through," and "across" have variable meanings depending on that experience level.
What we can't see, seems more difficult to communicate and understand than the mechanics we can see. Sort of like life.

Agreed. my head hurts trying to figure out the way he is describin g his tests

How do you imagine a short in the wiring is causing the reverse lights to be ON regardless of the trans being in gear?

- if the wires are shorted before the switch the reverse lights would not go On. I also would not get a 12V+ from the fuse box. (?)
- if the wires are shorted after the switch I would not get continuity or power to the rear bulbs. (?)
- If the brand new wire from the switch to the new in-cabin wire connectors is shorted I would not get continuity thru the switch or power to the rear bulbs. (?)

Post up a wiring diagram. If the wires are shorted together before the switch, it could cause the lights to come on. Wires shorted together, or especially shorted to ground, can cause a fuse to blow. You DID mention the fuse was blowing. That reeks of bad wiring. The switches on these cars are pretty bullet proof. I still doubt the problem is your switch.

Last edited:
Robots dont have feelings

I updated my post now that I have a keyboard and I am not at the shop working on paying customer cars. I am willing to help.

Post up a wiring diagram. Maybe somebody here can help with that.

...and views can be from robots.

final report: access to M47 trans reverse switch

Moving Transmission:
- I had gotten to the point of finding that a squeeze clap reversed to spread (spreader) could move the transmission easily.
-- There were other comments that raise concern for the engine mounts being twisted.
- I had experience with using slip plates (two sheets linoleum with bearing grease between) under wheels could slide an entire car
-- Was aiming at setting a level base for a piston jack on a slip sheet, using the jack to raise the trans, set spreader, remove the transmount, lower trans (position of spreader not determined ... probably would need two to set one and remove the other as they twisted during lowering) and then push the trans over
--- Still had concerns over controlling movement of jack front to back but that was unresolved.

Stopped Here:
- During time transpired I got closure with Virginia State Police Inspection office.
- Reverse lights are considered auxiliary lights. Without bulbs and sockets they are considered inoperable and do not need to pass inspection.

Sad to Say:
- The '88 244 DL is starting to run me into the ground with operational repairs so I am looking for other transportation. I look to only keep the Volvo until then and sell her for parts or to enthusiast with a garage. Others say she looks good for her age but having worked on her for 32 years I see all the love needed to bring her back to new life.

240/245 reverse switch HOW TO ACCESS

Bit late of an answer, but hey - can highly recommend drilling a hole in the tunnel, right above the switch location.

Requires a 2 inch hole, drivers side, right next to your right foot. Best solution, and if done neatly the next owner will thank you for it.

Cover the hole afterwards with insulation material, or even better, 'roof bitumen tape'. On top of that, it is covered by the super thick insulation mat, followed by the black floor matting.

100% waterproof - have a good look inside, and you'l see that it is pretty much impossible to get spray in that corner. Driven in the worst weather here in Holland, but not a drop through that hole.

Just this week the reverse light didn't come on again. Took 5 minutes to remove matting and tape, and find that my home made harness had simply come loose. EZPZ

Back