• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thinking about purchasing 2007 xc90 v8 any info?

turbopop23

I am looking at a 2007 xc90 v8 with 106000 miles on it, seems to be in really good shape. Does anybody have any thoughts on this vehicle? Known issues, how many miles these are good for? Thanks

I know that many of the 2007 model years of the P2 platform have had issues with the valve body on the transmission. I believe this was addressed in 2008 or 2009. So if the valve body hasn't been done, be advised you might be looking at a costly repair.

My wife?s best friends husband bought a 2005 v8. I warned him it may be a money pit especially since he doesn?t do any of his own maintenance or repairs.two months later the engine failed and he was pissed at me,said I jinxed him.

Same car here, had it for the past couple years. '07 V8 Sport. Bought it with 95,000 miles, now at 119,000 miles. There are def things to look out for, but it has been a reliable and comfy roadtrip/camping/wife&kid car. No balance shaft issues, knock on wood. Note, this is for a dealer -maintained 1-owner example, although dealer-maintained doesn't appear to mean much (records show basic maintenance was all they did - oil, brakes, routine maint interval checks):

1. Trans, valve body pre-2008 - had some slipping issues initially 2 years ago. Replaced the fluid, it has been OK since (the old fluid looked like orig - nasty)
2. Accessory belt, idler pulleys replaced - 2 idler bearings died, sounded like an Aerostar when they were new, belt was cracked, was original
3. Engine mounts - replaced passenger side, and trans side
4. Struts/shocks/front LCA bushings/strut mounts replaced
5. HID bulbs replaced - due to intermittent flicker
6. Alternator replaced - was original, started dying early 2018, known to last up to 10 years (usually less due to heat), replaced with Bosch reman, bit of a pain to do due to space constraints. I hope to never do this again
7. Battery replaced - orig, old, dying alternator didn't help
8. Spark plugs replaced - routine maintenance
9. Bought Volvo VIDA - to help with maintenance

Could've been worse - just stay ahead of the potential used car issues as much as possible. But I love my '87 even more now.

Find a 2008+ if you can, and you avoid both the balance shaft and trans issues.

I have put approx. 40K miles on my Late 06 v8 since I picked it up with 110k miles. Started to shudder after a few thousand miles, so I flushed the trans fluid using the IPD method, which fixed the issue. Turns out the TF80 trans max rating is almost exactly what the engine output is. I recommend flushing every 50k miles, just to be safe. Next i replaced all of the motor/trans mounts, all of the suspension bushings/mounts, and brake pads/rotors. Spent less than 1500 doing all of these things at home and none of it was very difficult. Haven't had a bit of trouble in the past 35k miles, even used it to tow car trailers between SC to MD, plus all over the south without issue. What i can suggest is to jump on anything that may pop up. It's my Wife's daily/kid hauler so I keep up on it.

Back