• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beluga Whale: Brendonak's Alaska '79 245 Build

Torque rods were from Yoshi, they're a couple bucks more than IPD but they're spherical versus poly. And they adjust in the turnbuckle fashion meaning you can adjust them when they're fully installed.

Yoshifab has incredible customer service and offers amazing products (I know I'm preaching to the choir), I'd give them the business if you can.

Torque rods were $218, do it.

As I've driven the car more now, and I haven't touched the front end mind you, it's incredible how well the suspension just works. I still have the old rubber on the axle bushings (haven't put Kaplhenke spherical bushings in yet), and the left torque rod is still in due to a frozen bolt, but DAMN it makes a huge difference.

Holy crap we got some work done. Nothing like having an entire day before you start your project. Luckily my master tech from work (he's a mechanical genius) was willing to lend a hand. He made short work of most any tall order. Knocked this stuff out so far:

Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Ball joints
Front poly bushings
Strut inserts and assembly
Rotors installed
Stainless brake lines installed
Subframe connectors installed

Still need to finish up the brake bleed and install the spings/shocks/spring perches in the back. Oh yea, and cut the bolt retaining the left torque rod to install the other adjustable link from Yoshifab.

Long day, good work. Beer time.

Fred gettin er dunn

Getting sorted and stiff

Fresh

Mock up the Fuchs with adapters

Not sure if this is normal, but these RSI shortened struts don't have a sleeve to make them fit in the OEM strut bearings, or the adjustable camber plates for that matter.

Was trying to unscrew the hardline and this happened...

New hardline!

This was the plan at the beginning of the sesh

Last edited:
Yea, one is normal, one is LED, I've got everything to make some projectors, just no time.

Thanks everyone, I cleaned up the front end, scrubbed the fenders out.

Need to clean up the rear and detail the car.

Brakes are super spongy, swapped on vented discs and calipers from a later model, bled them out for a few hours and the pedal is still spongy. Gonna drive it lightly and see what happens.

Waiting on those goddamn RSI sleeves for the strut inserts so I need to keep it civil for now.

Goddamn RSI didn't get me my spacer sleeves, so struts aren't totally done yet. They're in and tight, but can't get anything aligned yet.

Crazy good day today, performed the following:
Install 16v injectors
Swap B cam
Pull mechanical cooling fan and shroud
Trim down e-fan and fit
Install e-fan wiring harness, waiting on T fitting
Install 86+ door trim
Install trailer hitch
Pull exhaust
Install catless DP (no rust holes either!)
Diagnose spongy brakes, removed drivers side caliper and replace with one that has bleed screw at the top of caliper.
Swap in Denso alt.
Install right side tail light cover
Oil and filter change, 10w30 standard oil, mann filter
New rear cam plug

I'm sure there are some others, but that's the bulk for today.

Fired it up but it was 1030 and didn't want to piss of the neighboorhood right off the bat. Everything worked our well, excited to get an exhaust made up tomorrow. Going to have a glass pack installed right after the flange on the DP, then run the exhaust to the back and have a turbo muffler after the axle, and install a sweet tip.

The Fred helping me out, what a lifesaver

Exhaust dropped, hitch ready

No more rusted out holes, time for a removal point too

New sticker install, note:AVBG Alaska Volvo Battle Group

Cam is in, alt is in, halfway there

Working in your own garage kicks total ass

Fred made short work of the extra fan shroud

Yet another weekend of whale work...

Aired up the tires and advance the timing on the motor to 20 degrees.

Tires scrape on the fenders like crazy, picked up an angle grinder, cutoff wheel, and 3lb sledge. That's later this week/weekend before the new Nitto 205/50's show up.

Been busy

E-Fan wired in, switch next to the fog light switch. It's for the low speed setting, more than enough for our ambient temps.

Fog lights all wired in too, to OEM switch.

Painted the hatch and rear of the car, flat black because it's easy, just wanted to cover rust up. At some point I want to paint and clean up the whole body, hopefully this winter while swapping the LS.

All I'm waiting on now is an alignment and new tires.

Tires came in!!

Dunlop Direzza, $426 shipped to AK, 2 day air. 205/50 and they're freaking glue. We'll see how they hold up towing two dirt bikes 1k miles round trip.

Fresh meat!!! Black wheel weights on the backside so I can clean up the lips a little

Love looking at this suspension!!

Very different profile compared to clapped out 205/60 studs

Raised the back up some in preperation of towing 2 dirt bikes next weekend

Yes please

Oh yea, you guys sent it to an old address you had on file.

No prob though, they came in just fine and we dropped them in while we were taking the spacers to the lathe.

Can't wait to get your LS mounts up here!

Do you guys offer a windshield banner like the IPD one?

Back