• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v turbo low fuel pressure

turbojose

Hello All... I have a 16v turbo with MS2 and yesterday I went out for a drive, and the car slowly lost power as i tried to accelerate it gradually got worse until i was sitting on the side of the road just idling barely for a minute then it died. inspection shows only 20PSI on under FPR mounted fuel pressure guage and thats obviously not enough pressure for this system. I'm wondering what the chances are that the fuel pump could be the issue? in my experience, fuel pumps either work or they don't, never reduce fuel pressure. I'm running an IPD main fuel pump and an IPD in tank pump. the other two items in question are the Summit racing brand FPR and the factory fuel accumulator... any thoughts?

If by fuel accumulator you mean the fuel filter, that would be the first thing I'd change if it's still the original one.

Otherwise also check for corrosion on the power wires and check the grounds. A gradual loss of power to the pumps/fuel pressure would be consistent with degrading wiring.

------------------------------

But to help us out a bit, in what car do you have your 16valve turbo?

Last edited:
Update... car is an 84 244 turbo car.

1.) replaced the fuel filter it was a few years old
2.) cranked down on the setscrew on the adjustable FPR and it went up to 60 PSI and the car started fine.. then crank it back down to 41 psi without vacuum and the car idles fine.. went for a test drive and pressure dropped again. gotta think its the FPR.

If it isn't something with your fuel system. I would also check and see what is going on with your alternator. I have had problems where the alternator is working fine after you start up but about 15-20 minutes into driving it stops charging and now you are on battery power which will only last a short time. Which would be consistent with fuel pressure decaying as your supply voltage drops.

Back