• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering shake

Hey guys. I?m back again with another problem with my 240. So the steering shakes really bad when going hwy speeds (60-70) and I just can?t figure out why. I?ve replaced the rack, the tie rods (both inner and outer), new ball joints, and a new lower steering shaft u joint. What else could possibly be causing my steering wheel to shake so badly?

Balance likely not your issue. Have your tires inspected for a "belt separation". If you have one of these little darlings up front it will shake like a disco at 65mph.

Next question: was there an event the initiated this behavior?

If you switch the fronts and rears, and the vibration moves to the rear, it is one of those two. Now switch just one side front to back. If the vibration changes back to the front, the wheel you just put there is at fault. If the vibration does not change, the suspect wheel is the back one you didn't move the second time.
This can find either a bad tire or wheel. If you find a bad tire, replace them all.
If none of the tire swaps changes the vibration, you got something else going on.
Like loose wheel bearings or bad bushings.

It is also possible that you have cooked torque rod bushings and at highway speeds you are getting a driveline harmonic shake due to bad pinion angle. Bad torque rod bushings can take out driveshaft center supports, u-joints and output/input bearings if left too long. I have also had this happen in a car.

Get under the car with a pry bar and make sure stuff that should not move doesn't, and stuff that should move only moves in the direction intended.

On an old car I had the big crossmember bolts down beside the engine come loose and needed torquing. That car shook a bit til i fixed it.

I had old tires that gave me the steering wheel shakes at highway speeds, they were worn but ive def seen worse. I was looking into steering u-joints and a rack but new tires and its smooth sailing.

Balance likely not your issue. Have your tires inspected for a "belt separation". If you have one of these little darlings up front it will shake like a disco at 65mph.

Next question: was there an event the initiated this behavior?

Had at least one 205/60-15 Firestone do this, vibration typically happened under load at 65/70+

Back