• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

piston running clearance

stove

I am having my pistons hone-fitted tommorow.
Where do you recomend the running clearance be at,the tight or loose end of the 0.0004"-0.0016" range specs.

P.S. the engine is a b23ft and the pistons are standard "E" bore (96.245mm.)

Thanks!

Steve

I would suggest that you have the bores honed to final piston-cyl clearance of 0.0010-0.0012 inches; hopefully with a flex-hone to give a plateau finish.

Those 23FT pistons are "tall" compared to the 230FTs, so you won't have to worry about piston slap for a lot of miles. Those 23FT pistons are also forged; that is why I suggest final hone to the mid/mid-high end of recommended clearance. If those pistons were cast, I would suggest going on the tighter side (0.0006-0.0009 inches)....

.....these suggestions are for a street use engine; some might suggest more clearance for a competition use; a subject of much debate.....

the right wall surface is just as important as the clearance--some might say more important than--...a plateau finish is the desired surface.....a google search for that term will result in information with illustrations describing the advantages of a plateau surface....definitely worth the effort to both read up on it, and to do it....

then there is the debatable subject of what grit flex-hone to use....compare what grit the piston ring mfr recommends; discuss it with your machinist.....if you are using mahle pistons/rings, I am almost certain that the comp rings are chromed; that is subject to verification...whether the comp rings are chromed or moly faced affects what grit hone to use....

Back