• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brown 244 GL

200 Volvos in one place is a good show. Your car looks good. Looks like you had nice weather too.

I'm originally from Moldova (more eastern Europe :)) where old Volvos are even more rare. It took me 4 years to find a decent 240 there (1978 biege 244L, with B21A). Too bad I enjoyed it for just 6 month, before moving to USA. I left the car to my father, he takes good care of it, especially that I'm sending him parts. Too bad we don't have Volvo meets in Moldova :( I had this idea to organize one, that was before I left.

I've been watching your project for a while. Good work! Keep it going!

Very nice GL, I love that brown/beige interior combo! and the GT rims makes it very classy:)

We are not so far apart, shoot a PM if you go to Germany or Poland, I would like to see you volvo in the "steel":lol:

200 Volvos in one place is a good show. Your car looks good. Looks like you had nice weather too.

Yeah, it was fun! I wish the weather was a bit nicer to us at the end of the meet, because everybody just rushed home from the place.

nice car! brown is looking good.

Thanks! Even with the beaten up body panels it got a lot of attention. :cool:

I'm originally from Moldova (more eastern Europe :)) where old Volvos are even more rare. It took me 4 years to find a decent 240 there (1978 biege 244L, with B21A). Too bad I enjoyed it for just 6 month, before moving to USA. I left the car to my father, he takes good care of it, especially that I'm sending him parts. Too bad we don't have Volvo meets in Moldova :( I had this idea to organize one, that was before I left.

I've been watching your project for a while. Good work! Keep it going!

Thanks!
Yeah, finding a decent one is hard. Either they rust out, somebody already renovated it, or garaged for $$... I just bought the crappiest rotten out broken 244 on the market which i could drive home... :lol:

Very nice GL, I love that brown/beige interior combo! and the GT rims makes it very classy:)

We are not so far apart, shoot a PM if you go to Germany or Poland, I would like to see you volvo in the "steel":lol:

Thanks! Yeah, GT rims are growing on me! I definitely need some rear spacers though... As i made the wheelarch more wide at the rear it looks a bit odd.
I'll keep that in mind! However probably this is not going to happen this year due to my financial status. :rofl:
Also shoot some Pm too if you going to swing by.

Update time
First and foremost my brothers project, Audi Coupe finally hit the streets!
20170618_203826 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
No interior at this time, no MOT check yet, only 3 day permissions to try out this beast.
Damn, this thing goes well! 170hp 7A 20v engine, 1000Kg chassis... Also that awesome 5 cylinder sound... :love:

Some progress happened on Man?'s grey 244 for the great tour:
This tractor gearbox just fell on the floor...
DSC_0041 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
This little bit less tractor gearbox jumped up instead with the help of David:
DSC_0061 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
As we had that bare alloy case M46, I aggreed with David to swap transies, so grey car got David's old M47, driveshaft, crossmember, and David got a spare M46 this way. :cheers:

DSC_0060 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Of course i needed to change the carrier bearing because it sounded like it will explode in any minute. Now I hear that this gearbox also have the same 5th gear noise as browns M47, but not as loud, and syncros are much better.

Went to Budapest again to bring a spare M47, and party with my old schoolmate... Great times! :)
DSC_0047 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Just put the 2000th km to the car since assembly!

When i got home i found a parking place only here in the city:
20170623_204112 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
My car really looks 10 year younger with the black window trim... Whatever, i like this combo much better. :lol:

Last edited:
Switched to flickr for now, dont know when will i have enough patience to relink the whole thread as i have backup of it.

Anyways, car is doing fine, I could not stand the leaking diff so immediately after I noticed it i ordered a new seal.
As things never go as they are planned - when i was ready for the seal change - I pulled the flange and I seen a roughed up surface all around... After a few hours on the interwebs I just tossed the flange back and ordered the correct sized speedi-sleeve.
When that repair sleeve arrived I could finally change the seal. Not a single drop since then!

DSC_0006 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0009 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0014 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Greased up the seal well:
DSC_0010 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
With a flange tool and proper marks on everything its pretty easy to tighten the nut where it was.

Changed the filler neck to its original 1980 unit, now i can fill up the car without spilling fuel on the hot exhaust. Only a few drops at full fillup because the old o-ring.

I tried swapping in the A cam from its original B21A engine, but i could not source enough thick shims from 4 engines to make the gaps proper... I just put back the M in there. The swap would have been nice, although this long axle & boring cam is a good match too.

Decided to put on the UK fresh rubber trim over the front bumper, so the front end is done. Now I'm just looking for a non rusted to hell rear bumper...

We were on a vacation last week at Balaton, maaan it was fun!
20170718_133905 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Driving spiritedly with two 240s on twisty roads is just nice. Its crazy how differently the two car handles.
Mine is bone stock with cut springs upfront and rubber all around, David's car has some custom stiff springs with custom valved Billy HDs, poly all around and chassis braces. Not that mine can't be driven hard, but its a lot more boaty which im okay with. The wagon with this suspension and 17s is just planted and stable.

Got fed up with leaking trunk, so I stole this idea from my E30 buddy. Tesa universal E profile:
DSC_0005 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
It is just a bit harder to close the trunk fortunately. Silicon greased the surfaces to prevent sticking. I asked my girlfriend to lie in there with a flashlight and i pressure washed the edges to check for leaks. Now the seal finally seals as it should, but damn the taillights let a lot of water in! Also there is a place where water can sweep under the trunk seal U profile, but that requires a little bit of butyl only.

Last edited:
After three years, my girlfriend and I cruised down to Szolnok to show the car to the previous owner. :)
They were super nice and happy that we were there and the car is on the road again, it was great to talk with them a few hours. They even baked pizza for us, because they operated a pizzeria there for a long time.
20170824_114602 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
I'm on the left, PO on the right.

20170824_114626 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Old dude was happy that he could see the car again, especially in better condition when they sold it. His wife however noticed almost everything which i changed over the years. :lol:
Plastic rear bumper, darker hat shelf, darker brown color on repaired panels, primer spots on roof, rims. Its crazy, she haven't seen the car for 3 years. :omg:
I told them a full respray will happen when I have enough money, but right now im totally okay with this.

Here is a pic from the same place 3 years ago:
DSC09260 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Funny thing when they imported this car from Malm?, next day in Hungary the volvo badge was stolen from the grille...
Another funny thing the headlight wipers never worked at PO for 22 years, and they were shocked that I got them to work. :-D

We also visited the city, then went to Szeged for two days to have fun.
Car did great, not missing a beat. On the autobahn I tried ~80mph for a while but it seemed that fifth gear got noticeably louder so I slowed down to ~60mph and did the trip.
This would be an awesome long distance cruiser car, but on summer days the lack of AC kills the comfort because windows need to be down and its noisy. Cruise control would be awesome, and a silent gearbox too...

Finally I could measure consumption! It did ~450km on 37,5L petrol, and that seems to be around 28 US MPG. There were a few WOT accelerations... Im fairly sure it could do 31-33mpg with cruise control, 60mph and light right foot. :)

Nice work! I love those rims :)

Thanks!
I love the rims too and the tyres, shame the speedo has error with the 195/60R14 tyres. :grrr:

You should come, visit me.. so we can have some fun on those twisty roads in my area.. :cheers:

Ok but repair your rear ended 245 first. :omg::lol:

Finally got enough motivation to hack up a commando to the rear instead of the plastic crap. It just looked weird and any impact would damage my paint and chassiswork there...
Bumper shocks are its originals, the aluminium base came from the beige donor car but it needed some hack because the studs completely rusted out from it and they fell out.
Left and centre rubber absorbers are originals, right one came from the beige too because it had a hole in it to fill up LPG tank...
So here it is now, in its full glory. Now I need to finish commando trailer hitch and have it powder coated. :)
DSC_0090 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0093 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Swapped the A cam in from its original B21A engine! Needed a few shims around 4,15mm, gapped the intake valves a bit tighter, exhaust valves a bit looser in tolerance. Still no valvetrain noise, valve hushers are still in place.
Even the idle sound changed a bit after the swap, so I'm really curious about driveability now! Just waiting for a bit better weather to try it out. :)

Definitely looks better with the commandos. That's awesome that you showed the car to the previous owners. They must be happy that it went to a good home

Definitely looks better with the commandos. That's awesome that you showed the car to the previous owners. They must be happy that it went to a good home

Yeah, they had the car for more than 20 years, and they sold it to me at a ridiculous low price. They were glad. :)

By the way Mano and I are in the process of fixing up that abandoned B200FT and start it up. Mechanically we swapped the aux shaft, added a block distributor, removed and cleaned oil pan, closed the head distributor hole with an oem unit, cleaned the hell out of the whole engine as it was covered in thick sludge.

Added 8cm to the brand new downpipe to clear the 940 water-oil sandwitch plate and oil filter, added a lambda sond bung and wrapped it.
22015198_1772345356129443_1401870928_o by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

As we had no luck finding a 240 Lh2.4 wiring loom for a decent price, I decided to convert the 940 wiring. This picture is after i folded the left part to the right...
DSC_0099 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

After ripping out a LOT of these wires and shortening them the lh and ezk can finally sit nice on the right passenger firewall. I managed to add the stock relay too.
DSC_0113 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Today we are going to fire this engine up. :-D

Also we went to a retro car meet the last saturday:
IMG_20170923_122155 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Shame that I could not check out that orange 142 as they left early. But seen a bunch of nice cars.

rv4 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
21765119_1471531252893913_78106851726922726_n by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Car did fine on the 200km roundtrip, and the A cam really wakes the car up! No noticeable torque loss at low rpms, but man it pulls hard and do not really want to fall on its face! If it was around 115hp with M cam, then it must be around 130 now. Third gear goes all the way to 140km/h. :omg:
However the idle got a bit more shakey, so i'll probably reshim the valves without the rubber hushers sometime in the future.

Oh, and my fav picture from the last night cruise:
IMG_20170909_003305 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Last edited:
B200FT has started on first try! My 940->240 wiring conversion works! It had a relative nice sound, after playing a bit with throttle it idled too. Oh and the turbo sounds. :oogle:
So that day we assembled cooling system quickly, wrapped the wiring and fired it up again. Damn thing only ran on three cylinders, no matter what we did. Next day I played with swapping injectors, spark plug cables, checked spark plugs and guess what... Cyl nr2 showed no signs of burn, it was completely clean and just a bit soaked in petrol. It had hard blue smoke during revving.
Quick leakdown test revealed that no matter where the crank-cam is, air goes into the exhaust - either the exhaust valve is stuck open or burnt. Ripped the cylinder head off and voila, a chunk of metal is missing from the nr2 exhaust valve.
22068682_1774781932552452_917877966_o by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

No wonders car was sold cheap and was dismantled... It will get a new valve and valve lapping, we'll do the shimming and throw it back on. :)

Got the old and abused B200FT running on 4 cylinders nicely. While cold, it was not smoking too bad, but when it got hotter, it started smoking blue, real bad... We thought it may be only the 13c turbo that is smoking, so threw on an NA manifold and tried it... It smoked even worse! :omg:

So that engine is basically a toast, needs a rebuild. After a long thinking and discussing we aggreed that the original B19A will get this rebuilt 530 turbo head, the block will get the knock and crank sensor, and will run on LH2.4. Probably just NA for a while, because we are waiting for a clutch setup that works with M90.
DSC_0117 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0119 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Should run this week. :)

Last week we assembled the engine, did the turbo oil feedline, return line, manifold support, cooler piping, finished e-fan wiring:
DSC_0122 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0124 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0126 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0128 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC_0129 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Well, fortunately the NA clutch slipped so much it couldnt hurt the poor old M47... :lol:
But maaaan, this was my first turbobrick experience, and even though just a 2 liter, its damn torquey! And sounds soooo nice!
There were three problems during the test drive: the Facet 92-87 fan switch located on the top of passenger side in rad did not do anything, after accelerating and pressing in the clutch the engine died (throttle plate needs adjustment), and the CBV membrane is toast. No wonders it did awesome fluttering sounds. :oogle:

So a new CBV membrane is ordered, and the 940TD/M90 clutch setup already arrived as per suggested in the M90 thread:
DSC_0139 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soo, long time no update!
After the last post, grey car got that proper clutch setup with M90 conversion and hydro clutch. As the clutch grabs nicely, and the cbv was hacked with some silicone (until we get the new one) we were able to push it, actually. Maan, what a beast it is now! Instant torque from 1600-1800 rpms, pulls up to rpm limit without much trouble! We aggreed that a bigger turbo would just worsen this awesome driveability.

Had a little meet at the university im learning at. The white 945 turbo is owned by a nice guy who works at university. Actually he gave us the LH chip to kick out immobilizer from the turbo ecu, for free!

As you see I switched to brake dusty steelies with winter tires. I installed beauty rings because it looked too crappy.
DSC_0184 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Now it looks a little bit less crappy.

Its my last semester at the university, and as i could not stand the ****ty sounds the m47 made, I chose it as my thesis topic. I turned a part of my room to a dirty workplace and i dug deeply into that damn thing. First i tore apart an unknown mileage, poorly stored (dusty) M47 to see what I'm dealing with.
As the M47 from the grey car just came out, it was a great opportunity to tear it apart and check it with new bearings, does it really solve the problem.
After I knew what bearings it need and what is important during assembly, I started putting together 12david34's old M47, which did the trip to nordkappe in Man?'s grey car. It had these bearings, 340'000km:
DSC01201 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC01190 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC01189 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC01193 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Sooo yes, output shaft's 6306 deep groove ball bearing looked the worst, followed by tapered roller bearings on countershaft, and its cylindrical roller bearing. Ordered some nice new Koyos, an SKF to the cylindrical roller on the countershaft, and left the output shaft cylindrical roller in place.
DSC_0178 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Oh man, it felt good to pour in some nice and fresh 75w90 gl4+
DSC01210 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
DSC01215 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
Set the countershaft axial play to 0,03mm.

And guess what? This gearbox became sooooo silent its just unbeliveable. No weird noises, just doing its job, in peace. Best thing about this rebuild that it was less than 200$ :cool:
Will do a little more detailed post about this M47 thing once i have more time, but right now i'm finishing my thesis, and focus on the three last exams before final exam. :run:

Last edited:
Back