• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Swap Bellhousing modification

WhatsTheDL

Hey all, about to start a DeeWorks/Yoshifab T5 transmission swap in my 1987 240 w/ an AW70, and am doing a "dry assembly" outside the car to make sure I have everything sorted. One issue I've encountered was in removing the inner sleeve of the stock Volvo bellhousing--it appears that on the trans side of the bellhousing, there's some brass insert ring that has 6 round internal indentations. I tried to hammer the sleeve out from inside the bellhousing, but I believe this brass piece is holding in the sleeve and I'd rather employee the collective knowledge of TB before I break my bellhousing over something that is easily removed the "correct way" because then I'll be stuck with an automatic, and nobody wants that. I've read about a circlip holding this sleeve in in some posts, but I don't see it... Just this brass piece. Thanks in advance for helping out the (relatively) new guy

Posted via Mobile Device

If you are speaking about the pilot bearing. It’s held in place with a clip that should be easy to remove but fairly sure it’s not on the aw70.

I did my swap about a year ago, and from what I remember there is not anything that is holding in the sleeve. The brass ring you are talking about is a seal I believe. I used a short piece of a 2x4 lengthwise on the end of the sleeve and hit the 2x4 against the sleeve to knock it out. I just rewatched a video on YouTube that I used during my swap to refresh my memory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5VMASc6BY

At minute 16:45, he refers to the insert as a seal, didn't mention anything about a clip holding him up.

Sleeve, weird word huh

There is a clip that retains the sleeve in the bell housing. It's #24 in this diagram. Once removed, you can drive out the seal and sleeve simultaneously.

GR-22305.jpg

To make the hole bigger for my getrag swap I used a hole saw bit on a drill. Probably not needed for t5 swap if all you need to take out is the stock throw out bearing sleeve thing.

Further investigation revealed that not all bell housings use the clip unless the parts catalog is wrong.

It's not shown in the M47 exploded view.

GR-43648.jpg

Alright, I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break anything, and you all reinforced my confidence in just hammering it out.

If you've got some MAPP gas, you can also try feathering heat an inch or so from your sleeve, on the Aluminium cast BH. This could free the shrink fit..... and if set in place with red Loctite, you will neutralize that. Be sure to do this outdoors....to let any fumes escape.

Once she's hot, tap it out.

Ok, reporting back after getting it done yesterday. She's out, no surprises. It was soaking in penetrating fluid for a few days and came out with a few whacks, no heat required though I had a propane torch ready. Thanks everyone!!

Back