• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'93 240 Clicking noise when turning left, and when braking

rubercoober

Hey guys, been a minute since I last posted here. Hope you all are well.

My 240 has been making this noise for some time - occasionally when I brake I hear this click in the front left wheel well area (from inside the car) and it almost seems like the car shifts slightly? It also happens sometimes when I turn left, and fairly often when I take a really sharp left turn. I've been so busy lately that time kind of all blends together, but if I had to guess I've been driving it like this for over a year? :oops:

I also had a guy outside of a tattoo shop tell me "Hey man, your Volvo's got a lean to it", and I hadn't noticed it until that point. Not dramatic, but enough for him to notice. What are the odds these things are related? I only drive about 2.5 miles to work daily, and it's felt solid for a while so I hadn't addressed it, but I'm trying to be careful now since I've put it off so long.

I know back when I drove a VW GTI I had a CV boot go out and it made the loudest clunking noise when turning - mine isn't close to that yet. It's a quieter clicking noise that sort of sounds like metal on metal, or a metal joint shifting? A friend said something about the rack and pinion assembly?

What do you guys think this could be. I've been googling a bit but haven't come to a solid conclusion. Worn CV joint? Could that also cause a lean?

I've got a bit of tax return money and I'm hoping to go ahead and just address it this next week when I've got some free time.

Thanks!

No CV joint on a 240. Check wheel bearings, check brake pads, look for a broken front spring or spring perch ( for the lean).

The large rubber bushing at the rear of the front control arm is a likely suspect.

So is the strut mount.
Make sure its good, and the bolts are tight. If the bolts are loose it will cause this.
I've seen lots of cars with new lower bushings and original cracked strut mounts cause they require taking apart the strut assembly, which isnt that hard but need a few special tools and can be dangerous.
Actually, if the strut mount is original, just change it along with all the other bushings. If one bushing failed, the rest are not far behind. They are cheap and are likely to be shot even on a low mile car. Rubber doesn't age well and they are 25 years old.
You might spend a hundo or two and a weekend doing it but it will feel like a whole different car

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gonna try and get it on a lift sometime this week and see if anything is visibly falling apart. Will report back with findings.

Back