• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting to E85 (ethanol fuel)

Do you know where to get injectors for a reasonable price....I've been searching ebay, the 750 cc injectors I've found are all in the pricerange of $350+

That price is a lot better than the ebay stuff I've found, Thanks!
Just another question, What do you think about a grooved head and running ethanol?

That price is a lot better than the ebay stuff I've found, Thanks!
Just another question, What do you think about a grooved head and running ethanol?
Only positive results IMO.

Bump the compression a lot as well.

so maybe wit grooving I could raise CR or boost even a bit more? Do you know of anyone running ethanol with a grooved head?
No, I don?t know anyone who uses a grooved head.

But you can still run the same amount of boost even though you go from 8.7 to ~10:1 CR. That is one great benefit of ethanol.

Oh, and running 12.5:1 CR is almost standard on the Swedish forums when it comes to converting NA B230?s to ethanol fuel.

Last edited:
Is E85 clean-burning enough for me to dump my catalytic converter on my 'race' 240? I have to keep it road-legal and we do have emissions tests every 2 years or so. They don't look under the car though.

Is E85 clean-burning enough for me to dump my catalytic converter on my 'race' 240? I have to keep it road-legal and we do have emissions tests every 2 years or so. They don't look under the car though.
Yes it is. I think you will be alright at the test without a cat.

I actually had to dilute the E85 in my tank with some gasoline to get the wideband at the testing station to show some normal levels. Haha... The values were so low that they thought something was broken. It was with a very new race-cat on the other hand, but still.

Mass Air meters

Yes it is. I think you will be alright at the test without a cat.

I actually had to dilute the E85 in my tank with some gasoline to get the wideband at the testing station to show some normal levels. Haha... The values were so low that they thought something was broken. It was with a very new race-cat on the other hand, but still.

You guys are switching to bigger injectors but no one has addressed mass air meters, Mass air meters are calibraited to injector flow rates . If you switch to bigger injectors than mass air meters should be calibraited to the right size injector with the proper voltage scale for the type of fuel being burned in order for Air fuel raitios to be right. Or does everyone here have speed density cars ?

You guys are switching to bigger injectors but no one has addressed mass air meters, Mass air meters are calibraited to injector flow rates . If you switch to bigger injectors than mass air meters should be calibraited to the right size injector with the proper voltage scale for the type of fuel being burned in order for Air fuel raitios to be right. Or does everyone here have speed density cars ?
When switching to E85, the AMM will still be correctly calibrated since E85 requires larger injectors.

Stock AMM + gasoline = 31lb/hr injectors.

Stock AMM + E85 = 44lb/hr injectors.

How is your fuel economy compared to regular gasoline?
This is what I wrote in the first post, and it is still true even though I have done a lot of mods:

E85 has a higher density than gasoline. The change in AFR from 14.7 (lambda=1 for gasoline) to 9.765 (lambda=1 for E85) is 50.5%. But the resulting flow needed is only 42% greater.

Explanations to this: E85 will need a fuel flow that is 42% greater than the flow needed for gasoline. However, it will not use 42% more fuel since it will actually be more efficient. Generally, the engine will consume ~30% more fuel.

My car usually use 12.5L (average) of gasoline per 100km of driving (mixed, pretty normal driving). E85 is supposed to use up 30% more fuel, so my consumption should be 16.25L of E85 per 100km of normal driving.

I have driven the car a lot on E85, and I am going through 65L of E85 in 400km. WOW! That is exactly 16.25L per 100km, just like calculated.

It's an old post, but a good one. I'd like to add that I've purchased three of the Holley HLY-512-503-5 from summit and all three regulators had diaphrams that failed! I don't know if they're a bad batch or just old...but at a hundred bucks a pop...I'd look elsewhere. All three failed long before max. fuel pressure was realized.

It's an old post, but a good one. I'd like to add that I've purchased three of the Holley HLY-512-503-5 from summit and all three regulators had diaphrams that failed! I don't know if they're a bad batch or just old...but at a hundred bucks a pop...I'd look elsewhere. All three failed long before max. fuel pressure was realized.

I was about to get one so that is good news, however bad. Thanks for the warning.

Fred,

How does using E85 affect N/A performance camshaft selection? I am looking at KGT cams and I will be running 12:1 or more CR in a car that will see mostly autocross use. I am also willing to gear it down from the stock 3.31 rear to 3.73. (240 series)

Thanks, steve

Fred,

How does using E85 affect N/A performance camshaft selection? I am looking at KGT cams and I will be running 12:1 or more CR in a car that will see mostly autocross use. I am also willing to gear it down from the stock 3.31 rear to 3.73. (240 series)

Thanks, steve
In an NA car you can run a very high CR. What people usually prefer when running E85 is 12:1-12.5:1 actually.

With that kind of CR you can run a very wild cam if you want to.

if i run my car on about 40% e85 an 60% 95 octane fuel without converting, because converting Is not worth the effort, the only e85 station i know is about 30 km away and so i'll be there once a month or so. And i just want to know if this ratio would work and could it damage the engine?

thanks in advance

if i run my car on about 40% e85 an 60% 95 octane fuel without converting, because converting Is not worth the effort, the only e85 station i know is about 30 km away and so i'll be there once a month or so. And i just want to know if this ratio would work and could it damage the engine?

thanks in advance
It depends on the car and type of engine.

What do you have?

Back