• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brakes and Wheels

A

Anonymous

I have been having troubles finding out if my car has a bendix or girling braking system. I feel stupid for asking, but can you guys help me?

My car is an '86 740 w/B230FT and 4-corner discs and ABS.

Does ABS effect the type of pad I should buy?

Oh, and out of curiosity, what kind of aftermarket wheels are there available with a 108mm bolt pattern? I have only been able to locate 2 kinds on tirerack.com, ASA and At Italia. Although I know Borbet type E's fit as well.

Your lucky i work at NTB!!! The only other cars i've found with the same lug pattern 5x108 are the Jaguar S-Type and Ferrari 350? (one of them, i gots to double check).
But check out Team Dynamic wheels and MAS Italy...

-RoGz

Mama Mio!

Does that mean we can put Ferrari wheels on our Volvos?

OR

Does that mean we can put Volvo wheels on Ferrari's?

Talk about a bargain! (for ferrari owners that is :) )

I'd trade my GT wheels any day!

Talk about easy way to upp the gear ratio to make your ferrari faster... (smaller wheels = better accel) but talk about sucky mileage and lowered top speed...

Don't bother with Tire Rack. Tire rack will tell you that Volvos can not have wheels larger than 16". They used to be very knowledgeable about fitments but have gotten lazy in recent years. Many of the wheel brands they carry have Volvo fitments but Tire Rack doesn't get enough orders from Volvo owners to warrent keeping up on what fits them, so they say.

You are going to have to log on to the various websites of different wheel manufacturers and either look for Volvo fitments or wheels with a 5 on 4 1/4" bolt pattern and a 20 offset (RWD).

I just went through this looking for a set of wheels my self. I ended up with a set from Team Dynamics. They have a few different styles that fit the RWD and FWD Volvos.

I happened to find the right guy at a local Discount Tire store that was willing to take the time to call his various contacts at the manufacturers to help me find a wheel that fit and that I liked.

BTW, Don't try to get anything from TSW. They say they have Volvo fitments for RWD but they don't. The Hock "R"s I ordered last week came in with the wrong offset. TSW was aware of this when they sent the wheels and sent them anyway hoping I would not notice they didn't fit. They stated that there was not enough interest in that particular offset to warrent manufactureing it any more. They had two in stock and would not make any more period. So, I bought Team Dynamics wheels.

The Fords and FWD Volvos and probably Ferrari use an offset much greater than 20mm, so even with the correct bolt pattern, they won't fit without spacers/adapters. Custom adapters aren't that expensive, so contact a company that makes them and find out which common bolt patterns will fit with the 5x108 (4.25").

For example, if you can get adapters from 5x108 to 5x100, you will open up a large selection of 5x100 ET35-45 wheels that will work.

towerymt said:
The Fords and FWD Volvos and probably Ferrari use an offset much greater than 20mm, so even with the correct bolt pattern, they won't fit without spacers/adapters. Custom adapters aren't that expensive, so contact a company that makes them and find out which common bolt patterns will fit with the 5x108 (4.25").

For example, if you can get adapters from 5x108 to 5x100, you will open up a large selection of 5x100 ET35-45 wheels that will work.

It's my understanding that the FWDs use a 40 offset.

How much would it set me back to get a set of 4 ferrari rims? I would have to take out that horse from the rim though... heh...

Hinckley said:
It's my understanding that the FWDs use a 40 offset.

Hey guys, i can chime in. I was doing a search for Team Dynamic's homepage and ran across this board. The Taurus SHO ('89-'99) off the same offset, although their wheel wells are slightly different. Perhaps you'd have better luck w/ '89+ Thunderbird wheel selections as they are wider and offer less of a positive offset. SHOs have a +42mm offset on the OEM 16x6" "Slicers" (6 point non-directional Canadian in '90-'92 and 6 point directional Italian rim in '93-'95 which weigh ~18.5lbs w/o a tire.) The Aftermarket for the SHO is ~35mm-42mm in positive offsets. T-birds also share the 5x108 bolt pattern as does the Lincoln LS.

Hope this helps ya guys some!

Neno
www.shocago.com

Back