• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slay of SISU: 1979 262CX project

sisu_slay

I figure it's time to log this sled.

This is a 1979 262C Bertone that I picked up by pure luck.
11188464_806779472736478_2455975361749795303_n.jpg

Background on name: Sisu= a Finnish concept of resilience and confidence in the face of hard times. This car seems to follow that definition. It still had the original motor. I saved it from a collector that had it for a month before realizing he was in over his head. before that, it had spent 8 years between two college girls hauling them around austin, dallas, and tyler texas. It was also previously owned by a dealer manager in utah when he lived in california, which is where this was sold. headlights and highbeams we all weird, grand canyon dash, no valve adjustments in years, black trans. fluid. On the way home it proceeded to overheat as the dude didn't mention the hole in the radiator. Then I spent the next 2 weeks overheating another four times blowing every hose untill the headgasket went. I found one of the few people in dallas who could do the job. Ever since then, it's ran like a top and all repairs after have had my hands in it. Any problems that poped up, it let me know but never left me stranded since then.
20170513_174416.jpg

20170729_183310.jpg

After 3 years 20K miles with around 250,500 miles. It has payed off in many smiles. Laughing as I pass every little honda or every low mile CEL bmw that shows up in my shop. I always get questions at gas stations, also alot of hecklers telling me to LS SWAP BRUUV, but neigh, I have plans.
20171209_172516.jpg

20170513_104111.jpg
received_1308954392518981.jpg

THINGS ALREADY DONE:
replaced dash
made all the dash lights and switches work
new waterpump and stainless heater pipe
almost complete silicone hose conversion
pertronix coil and msd wires
swapped out the old bw55 when the pump quit which can be found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=332124
new rear seats
unplugged the lambda (so unnecessary)
timing advance to somewhere around 16 btdc
sawed off the large starla muffler that was holding things up (LET SISU ROOOOAR!)

PLANS:
so what is a 262CX? well, everyone is always scraping the ground around here, no one fills in potholes, and heavy flooding are constant problems here. I also want to drive into the new mexico desert. so why not make the personal offroad coupe of the post apocalypse bouge that volvo never made? who says the CC wagons get all the fun?
so things that are going in is a new 3 inch exhaust with headers (courtesy of matt dupuis)
20170531_205648.jpg

a set of 282 degree cams from dbilas
alloy rockers
ARP head studs (yes they exist)
head porting
2.5 to 3 inch lift with either parts from ben kaplan or sellhom
redo the front seats
get headrest cushions made
repaint the car with a satin gun metal grey color and a maroon vinyl top (this had a black top at one time.)
redo the seal and trim on the windows
BF Goodrich A/Ts
possible trunk rack or roof rack for spare tire and adventure supplies
maybe a CB?
and a bull bar or brush guard with a set of hella rallye 4000s

this is my first volvo, my only volvo, and continuing daily driver, and i expect it to be for many years to come, I will probably regret the day I sell it, if I ever do. who knows, maybe I might drive it around the world. I am also not that old, so it puts a smile on people's perplexed faces, especially the young kids at car shows.

leave ideas, parts links, questions etc. will be updating with pics.

Last edited:
Measure cam events at every valve with a dial indicator and degree wheel.

Most reground cams for the PRV six I've seen get ground inaccurately. Too much ramp will tear up rocker arms. Don't want to see you hurt those bitchin' alloy rocker arms! Yup... PITA to do. Worth the effort when it runs on all six for your efforts. E-Cams... :nod:

You got Matt's headers. Cool.

Should be a fun Project.

Measure cam events at every valve with a dial indicator and degree wheel.

Most reground cams for the PRV six I've seen get ground inaccurately. Too much ramp will tear up rocker arms. Don't want to see you hurt those bitchin' alloy rocker arms!

the cams will be a fresh grind, no sending off the old logs for a shave here. I also got valve springs from dbilas for this setup

Very happy seeing your progress. Great meeting you at my shop. Just saw a 2002 Tti today and thought of you.

how sweet, where did you see it? those are next to impossible to find, even in rusty condition. we have one, near perfect, wont let it go for less than 100k

first major update of 2018.
replaced main pump with a real bosch pump. and got rid of the dirty leaky injectors along with the crispy rubber fuel lines.

kit was made by john hervey at delorean auto parts.
20180203_190311.jpg

20180206_085914.jpg

20180203_135601.jpg

runs great now, although it initially ran very rich, i tried inspecting the fuel distributor o ring only to break it and now there is a small air leak that somewhat evens it out.

why didn't i just twist the CO screw? that thing is siezed in place. its the kind that sits on top of the unit and press down to turn the actual screw. tried hitting it with a tap, using p3, and a pair of vice grips that just tore it up with no movement. what would y'all recommended to unstick this thing? or would you just recommend drilling out the intermediate screw to access the flapper screw like on post 1980 units?

Last edited:
Back