• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 ABS master cylinder replacement / rebuild kit?

Maybe It's a good time to try fitting a master cylinder from something domestic. I'm running a 1999 Ford Ranger master cylinder on my 88 765. The master cylinder mounting to the brake booster was the same.

Maybe It's a good time to try fitting a master cylinder from something domestic. I'm running a 1999 Ford Ranger master cylinder on my 88 765. The master cylinder mounting to the brake booster was the same.[/QUOTE

'93 are with ABS. I assume and 88 765 is non ABS.

I made some calls a couple of weeks ago and I was told new aftermarket 240 ABS master cylinders maybe available sometime later this year.

Apparently, the manufacturer only makes 1 batch a year and they must have underestimated demand.

I suggest in the interim having the old brake master cylinder rebuilt by a bonded reputable rebuilder like Volvo was doing. When done properly, a rebuilt brake master can last as long as the original and in some cases longer than crappy new ones.

Normally I don't like using rebuilt brake masters mostly because of the time delay as most of my customers use their cars everyday, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

For some reason, repair kits aren't available from anybody and Volvo never sold them either.

Maybe It's a good time to try fitting a master cylinder from something domestic. I'm running a 1999 Ford Ranger master cylinder on my 88 765. The master cylinder mounting to the brake booster was the same.[/QUOTE

'93 are with ABS. I assume and 88 765 is non ABS.

88 765 is ABS. I removed the Mercedes Benz style master cylinder and adapter and then rotated the brake booster 90 degrees resulting in the mounting studs being horizontal instead of vertical. The Ford master cylinder then fit the brake booster. Master cylinder outlet lines still connect to the ABS unit. The ABS on this car is disabled but all the brake plumbing is still intact.

I made some calls a couple of weeks ago and I was told new aftermarket 240 ABS master cylinders maybe available sometime later this year.

Apparently, the manufacturer only makes 1 batch a year and they must have underestimated demand.

I suggest in the interim having the old brake master cylinder rebuilt by a bonded reputable rebuilder like Volvo was doing. When done properly, a rebuilt brake master can last as long as the original and in some cases longer than crappy new ones.

Normally I don't like using rebuilt brake masters mostly because of the time delay as most of my customers use their cars everyday, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

For some reason, repair kits aren't available from anybody and Volvo never sold them either.

The only rebuilt MBC I've found is O'Reillys listed above. Could you list other rebuilders please.

Sam

88 765 is ABS. I removed the Mercedes Benz style master cylinder and adapter and then rotated the brake booster 90 degrees resulting in the mounting studs being horizontal instead of vertical. The Ford master cylinder then fit the brake booster. Master cylinder outlet lines still connect to the ABS unit. The ABS on this car is disabled but all the brake plumbing is still intact.

Is the ABS disabled because of the MC change or was there another issue?

I would use either Apple Hydraulics in New York or White Post in Virginia, but they both have good reputations AFAIK.

One of those was the place I found that could rebuild the funky front and rear calipers on the South African made right hand drive 1963 Lancia Flavia Zagato we once worked on.

FYI, you will most likely have to send in your old BMC to get it rebuilt.

The only rebuilt MBC I've found is O'Reillys listed above. Could you list other rebuilders please.

Sam

We returned the bad one to RockAuto and got another to replace it(same thing, A1 Cardone rebuilt in China). It's better! Pedal feel is still not great, but it's good enough to run with....

what's so different about them ? i would think the seals are shared with something else, what's the bore diameter ? could the seals out of a non abs m.c. be swapped into the abs m.c.? I'm guessing if there the same bore it could be done. I remember when you always rebuilt what you had and never bought new, lol even having to bore then and have a s.s. sleeve pressed in

Any update on finding abs master brake cylinder? The Volvo now seems discontinued and unavailable. Ipd have none. Are people going with the raybestos ones? Having a hard time finding anything except cheap Chinese @ $30-$40

Any update on finding abs master brake cylinder? The Volvo now seems discontinued and unavailable. Ipd have none. Are people going with the raybestos ones? Having a hard time finding anything except cheap Chinese @ $30-$40

O?Reilly?s part 11-2661.

I?m going to send Scott Doering an email about getting a production run of this part. Scott is VP of Customer Service for VCNA. He?s an enthusiast, owns a P1800 and a good person.

You all might consider sending him an email as well. scott.doering@volvocars.com

Sam

Back