• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

There's no reason for the clutch itself to be different - 360s (with a cable clutch) can use a 740 (hydraulic) pressure plate (for an M4x car), no problem.

The bearing is much more likely to be different, but that's to do with the shape of the opening in the fork, and the geometry of the whole arrangement. I'm sure it's possible to engineer the fork arrangement such that you can use the same bearing, but that might not always happen. I've not checked, but it's perfectly possible that a 360 bearing and a 740 bearing are the same.

Worst case scenario? You have to buy a different bearing. Personally, I think it's BS from the parts suppliers. Remind me to check on Vadis for 940 TDI M90 cars with cable clutches when I get home!

cheers

James

Here are some pics of the bracket, finally:

P4190610.jpg

In the car:

P4200611.jpg

Thanks Kenny. Having looked at a 240 transmission crossmember for the first time last weekend, that now makes perfect sense!

cheers

James

That's the perfect solution, you used a 240 motormount?

Thanks!
Yeah I think so, it's either a 240 straight motor mount or a round style M46 transmission mount, I can't remember, it was just whatever I had laying around. :lol:

M90

I installed the M90 I had laying around for a few years, it was suppossed to be in my 960 sedan but never made it there.

It almost took me a whole day of work (including cleaning some parts and searching for needed parts I misplaced, and other people keeping of my work)
All went pretty well and no adjustments had to be made. I only had to customize the exhaust support. I took the effort in replacing oil, flushing it twice (first flush was so nasty I had to do it again) and replacing seals and using the newer reverse sensor.

It now is much nicer to drive, M46 FTL. It really is worth it!!!

Last edited:
I'm using an M90 in my kit car. I'm using a non volvo m/c and I'm having trouble getting the clutch to work properly. Basically I have to have my foot right to the floor and then I can just about change gear, but it's hard. As i know flip all about hydraulic clutches, could this be a problem with the m/c not being big enough or a problem with the slave cylinder? It's a 3/4" m/c, I don't know what the m/c that came with the 960 was. There's no leaking fluid anywhere. I'm using an 850 clutch & flywheel. This is the kind of m/c i'm using, the .75 one

Any ideas on what I can do. FANX

With a brand new clutch using a 740 turbo slave cylinder, mine likes a spacer between the end of the slave and the clutch fork.

Basically it's a socket head capscrew (allen head bolt). the tip of the slave sits in the head of the bolt, the bolt goes through the clutch fork and a nut holds it on the back side of the fork. Basically spaces the clutch fork about 15mm closer to the slave.

Without this, my slave tries to overextend. This might be a function of the R clutch or the fork being bent or the m46 slave not being the same length though. :rofl:

With a brand new clutch using a 740 turbo slave cylinder, mine likes a spacer between the end of the slave and the clutch fork.

Basically it's a socket head capscrew (allen head bolt). the tip of the slave sits in the head of the bolt, the bolt goes through the clutch fork and a nut holds it on the back side of the fork. Basically spaces the clutch fork about 15mm closer to the slave.

I just bunged a couple of washers between the clutch fork and slave and it now works brilliantly :) The washers were to see if it worked, your bolt idea sounds good for a permanent fix though! ^___^ You win @ life.

Excellent! I think with a new clutch, if all of the other components are not brand new as well, the slave just can't always quite extend far enough.

I've seen it on 740 turbos with all stock components too.

trouble

After changing from M46 to M90 I'm experiencing a few issues.

All gears work fine, except for third gear, gets in pretty easy but pops out just as easy.
As long as I keep my foot on the throttle no problem, but when I get it off it pops out of gear. I can also feel that when standing still (engine shut off) it doesn't stay in gear and gets back to neutral.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or is my gearbox shot? I really hope not.

Thanks for the help.

I'm swapping the M90 and the B230 it was born with into an Amazon so it will be going in with the engine 'upright', is this a problem for the M90?

Sorry if this question's a repost, I tried to read the whole thread to make sure it wasn't but there's so much information here my face is twitching.

I haven't found a really good thread on what's to be expected with this engine&box swap so I'll make a photo-heavy one when I'm done. Are there any questions I should be asking apart from running the M90 de-leaned?

maybe with the transmission tunnel from a 144

Making it fit won't be a problem, I want to be sure that using the M90 upright isn't a problem for it, that it won't break, that the gear shifting won't be impossible etc.

Thanks for the 144 tunnel idea though, I hadn't thought of a transplant.

Making it fit won't be a problem, I want to be sure that using the M90 upright isn't a problem for it, that it won't break, that the gear shifting won't be impossible etc.

Thanks for the 144 tunnel idea though, I hadn't thought of a transplant.

Unless you alter the gear linkage it will end up crooked. As to what it will do to the lubrication......

Unless you alter the gear linkage it will end up crooked. As to what it will do to the lubrication......

Gear linkage is dead easy. You'll need to shorten it about 90mm anyways. You would just clock the shift rod over and weld the aluminum bit on "reclocked" as well.

Lube wouldn't be a problem once it's in but filling it might be tricky, I'm not sure.

No prob.

I feel confident that works. My m90 is not tilted as much as yours will be, but it's still about 10 degrees tilted. It's installed in a 240 so I know the drill on the linkage modification.

These transmissions are lubed by the gears slinging oil all over. No sump or oil pickup or whatever. The gears will sling oil all over pretty much regardless of orientation. I've had my M90 fully disassembled multiple times, so this info is first-hand. :cheers:

After changing from M46 to M90 I'm experiencing a few issues.

All gears work fine, except for third gear, gets in pretty easy but pops out just as easy.
As long as I keep my foot on the throttle no problem, but when I get it off it pops out of gear. I can also feel that when standing still (engine shut off) it doesn't stay in gear and gets back to neutral.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or is my gearbox shot? I really hope not.

Thanks for the help.

Have you removed the bolt just visible here (far left, close to the shift rod):
It holds the spring that pushes a ball bearing onto the grooves of the shift rod. That can cause some resistance. I forgot to remove it at first and it gave a slight resistance.

Being the fool that I am, I took the gearbox apart and forgot to reinstall the above mentioned ball, spring and bolt. Then again being as smart as I am, I somehow suddenly remember JW talking about it in this thread and my problem is solved :hyper:

Since I already bought a parts car I now have a spare M90 :-)

Back