• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 16v EMS question

dontknowyou

Hey guys,
There is a lot of information out about the physical build of a 16v/230 turbo engine, but not much publicized about the EMS setup. I am wondering if anyone here knows about the hardware (sensors modules etc) needed to do full standalone (ignition and fuel) on a 16v turbo build? Thanks in advance :)

It's exactly the same as on an 8v.

Assuming speed density:
Crank trigger, coolant temp, throttle position, inlet air temperature and MAP.

You could even use a stock ignition module, and distributor/coil.

There is a megasquirt howto on here, all applies for the 16v as well.

Optional: Fan control, boost control, idle valve control.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to mix and match their setup a little differently.

I mostly used stock sensors on my first iteration, using a single coil and the LH2.4 distributor with a Saab crab-cap on it. Using an MS1 box. I think an IAT sensor was the only thing added there (and I carried this setup over largely unchanged from the previous 8V motor).

Then I went coil-on-plug and sequential injection tfor the second go around - and used a Mitsubishi crank/cam sensor on a Yoshi adapter in place of the distributor. This used an MS3X box.

buzz buzz.

anyway, it's just an engine. nothing special or different about it vs other engines with respect to EMS's

Back