• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Early 240 trunk popper option install questions

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I just got the optional trunk popping kit, does anyone know where the button is supposed to mount? What is the plastic piece that came with it and where does that go?

IgoEst2l.jpg

KQNPcBil.jpg

iUlULTel.jpg

Last edited:
If your car had that option, there should be a place in the upper left corner of the glove box for the button. Can't help with the other piece.

So on my project thread the button location is answered. Upper left hand side of glovebox. Anyone recognize the plastic plate?

Wow! We are good. Now if we can figure out what that plastic piece is...rare option 240 gods haha. Starting to think its unrelated to this and just a random part accidentally included

When I owned my first 240 a hundred years ago, it was an '83 DL, which did not have a trunk popper originally. Having no clue about that trunk motor at the time, I simply used a 240 door lock solenoid from a salvage yard. Also, my location for the button was in the low dash to the left of the steering column. It worked very well and actually "popped" the trunk instead if that original motor, which does a slow "popping." That's how I would do it again if I needed to.
Dave B

Last edited:
Some air-cooled VW's had the rear hood release (cable operated) on the rear door jam next to the driver's seat. I have thought that that would be a good place for the button, assuming that most of the time the next thing you do after releasing it is get out of the car.

Without the instructions I would've thought the harness went down the passenger side.

Ohh so it was an “option”, INTERESTING!! I have been wondering why mine came with the popper face plate for the glovebox and a few odd pieces(I think) but that was it. I have been in a quandary about how to access the trunk easily other than the one key.

Now makes sense, thanks guys!

Well if you are small enough. You could always access the trunk through the ski hole in the rear seat. lol

My 82 turbo didn't have a trunk popper. But my 84 did. Someone had to check the box on the options list.

Very timely post. I have been thinking about this for some time. Big problem is mine is a 78. Rigging the actuater would be no problem. But making the deck lid rise would be a challenge. Did it go up when they were new? I just don't remember. For those that have not delt with the strut, If you don't have the Volvo tool is is like loading a bear trap.

Nothing to do with the deck lid struts. When you close the trunk you usually have to push down on the lid to overcome the resistance of the gasket. When you activate the popper button the lid will rise just enough to overcome the resistance.

Back