• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

300 Badge Time?

Harlard

Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
300+ Club
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/lohtlhXj2T4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final numbers were 280hp at 6700 RPM and 240 lbs ft at 5200 at the wheels. 10 PSI (gate pressure) Fuel pressure was dropping after that. Has another 1000 rpm, more boost, and more timing in it.

Tuner suspects a fuel pump issue (AEM 320). I'll be swapping in a Walbro 450 with some bulkhead fittings and go from there.

BHOwFsPh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just using the stock 80s k-jet fuel pumps on mine, they said the 650 injectors in mine has plenty of breathing room. I'm at 23psi too, I wonder how your fancy performance one is out of flow at much lower boost and not much more hp...

Either the pump crapped out or there was an external draw from something else I had wired in that was getting in the way. Both the fuel pressure and flex fuel sensors were going to zero at the same time.

It also has less torque because the turbo is barely doing anything. Yours on the other hand is working very hard. Your engine is out of puff before 5000 whereas mine would be making power to past 7500. It should make past 400 on e85 as is.

It is slightly tall and there is very little torque below 2000. It's happy being lugged but doesn't have much torque. I'll post some specs soon.

Be careful with the timing. I was running more advance on my 16VT, because it felt freaking awesome (and I was using E85), but it kept blowing Cometic HG's with some sad degree of regularity. With a flat block/head, installed with copper spray/hylomar/dry, ARP head studs cranked modestly tighter than spec.

At some point, you are getting more power, and not hearing detonation, but it's putting a lot of stress on the motor. Leave some timing on the table, and drive the car longer in between HG's is my advice.

Good to know. I'm going to be doing all of the timing advance tuning on the rollers as I have come to find out that the 16v stuff is knock resistant enough to be sneaky about causing trouble.

As promised to some folks wondering about the setup, here it is:

1989 16v cylinder head, some cleanup on intake ports
Reground stock B234F cams, to match the Techtonics 276* mild race 16v grind
VW ABA lifters
lash caps
Some aftermarket valve spring setup (I forgot which)
Modified Yoshifab intake manifold setup with 960 throttle body
Yoshifab 8v adapter plate with 90+ exhaust manifold
eBay "GT3071" mistery turbo
TiAL MVS 38mm with 8 PSI spring
Stock B230FT pistons, flycut
SPM 152mm rods
MS3X
LS2 coils
ID1300x injectors
KL Racing intercooler
Forge 007 bypass valve
3" JT Tuning exhaust