• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242GT 1979 Group C Race Car

Another weekend another racetrack

We did 30 laps of sprints at Queensland Raceway last Sunday and car performed faultlessly.

Couple of shots to share

My favorite courtesy of Chance Brejnakowski

g1s02Bz.jpg
[/IMG]

And another at pace courtesy of Debbie Mackay

KUoC4bL.png
[/IMG]

Give her a clean up and check over after last two weeks outings and head out again mid July for next event which is sprints at Morgan Park in Warwick

Last edited:
Sorry about the photos ladies and gents but Photobucket want $400 a year to keep functionality that was free till now. If admin wants to delete thread you have my permission.

I guess that puts an end to that. It's been fun sharing the journey.

Sorry about the photos ladies and gents but Photobucket want $400 a year to keep functionality that was free till now. If admin wants to delete thread you have my permission.

I guess that puts an end to that. It's been fun sharing the journey.

NOOOOO! I love this car, migrate the photos elsewhere and update the first post with an album link?

Happy to take guidance on options for a solution and spend a bit of time fixing as put a bit of effort into thread creation.

Bummer, I haven't gotten that notice yet, but you're the 2nd person I've heard that from. I better download and save all my pics onto my hd just in case.
Do you still have access to your pics on photobucket or did they lock you out completely?

Going to the site directly lets you view the image(s). It looks like they may also let you download the entire album/account uploads into a zipped file at once, you have to be signed in to do it though. This presents 2 issues:

In his case, (Re)Sorting 1200+ (!!!!) photographs.
Re-uploading 1200 photographs to another host.

Having been working through some of my old repositories, this is much easier said than done.

Of course photobucket would do something scummy like this after all these years.

I hope this does not put an abrupt end to this car's story, it's been very fun reading along.

Let's me access them so they still exist. Will see what it lets me do over weekend and have a play. I also note comments so far and thanks.

Given this has happened once I wonder if all free sites will end up going same way and use free services as a hook to sell later. Can't blame them and a little weird that photobucket went so long as a free site. Would not surprise to find out they sold and new owner looking to improve return on investment.

Just found this. Someone else experiencing the same. Very interesting

Note below this is cut and paste of another persons experience.

A few days ago, without any advance warning, Photobucket sneakily changed its terms of service to disallow third-party hosting, or hotlinking, on nearly all of its plan tiers. Most people use Photobucket explicitly for the ability to link from images on Photobucket to other locations such as blogs and forums, so this seems like a baffling move.

Until you realize the scam that's afoot: The only way to get your images to show up again is to pay Photobucket $400, upfront, as an annual subscription to its most expensive plan.

Ah, I see. It's a ransom demand.

I'm livid. I'd been using Photobucket to host my images on my Blogger blogs for ten years. For several of those years, I paid Photobucket an annual subscription for the benefits of unlimited bandwidth and extra storage.

A couple years ago or so, though, Photobucket's user interface went downhill. [?]

Fortunately, then, for my more recent posts, I had gotten fed up with Photobucket and started hosting my newer images directly on the Google/Blogger interface. [?]

Then, last week, I opened up my blog and saw: Ack! Everything was black-boxed. My header, my sidebar icons, my profile picture. It was awful. I tore into my templates and quickly uploaded any image I could find to Blogger, then repasted all the links until my templates were fixed. But, I realized I was still staring into the abyss of hundreds of blogposts, thousands of images, that all needed to be reuploaded and recoded. It was enough to make me want to cry.

My blog of doom

Well, at least I could get my images off Photobucket, right? Nope. You heard me. I can't get my own photos off Photobucket. A decade's worth of blog photos are being held hostage.

End of other persons Quote

Well created a new account on Imgur and pulled down all photos from Photobucket and uploaded some pics to Imgur to test and pointed links to IMGUR instead to test.

Well it can be done. See how we go and might fix a couple of things a time when time allows.

Most likely will get the better of me

Last edited:
We ran Lakeside classic a few weeks ago. Car went well but we popped a head gasket on the last day due to a faulty fan switch coupled with a delay in return lane due to a car with a broken gearbox coupled to a very hot day. We know we did not cook the engine due to our backup head temperature gauge so it has paid for itself already. I think the temperature fan switch has not been working properly since our second outing with it in.

We are going to do away with the temperature switch for the radiator fan and just have it come on all the time. We can do this in our climate.

We are also fitting a cometic head gasket whilst we are at it.

Also fixed some more pages with updated pics following photobuckets extortion racket. Pain in the butt but nothing worse than a thread with lost photos. Working through them very slowly to rebuild.

Here are some pictures from the weekends racing courtesy of shifting focus

1992 Spec Godzilla verse our 1979 Spec 242 and the speed differential is astounding. The Nissan picked up first place for weekends racing

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Last edited:
All genuine race cars with period history covering group C from early 1970's to 1985 and Group A 1986 to 1992 before we moved onto our own V8 category in Australia from 1993. The earliest car in these pictures is the Blue Holden XU1 torana in front of our Volvo which is 1972 but raced till 1978

Here is a link to incar footage from Duncan McKellors BMW in race 5 from the weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpgd9KR94Q

Here is a lap from Wayne Clifts in car from weekend. Wayne raced the car back in the day and still owns the car today and brings it out for the historics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbpQPc0rvs

Here is field assembling for race 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuqLUO-AF8

Last edited:
I seen that. The car to the side of you looks like a US model Toyota FX-16 from the pictures. And I do see a 5m Supra out there. Good stuff.

Both toyos you mention have British Touring Car history as well as Australian with the Supra having run Spa as well

Heres some history on the Supra

John Abbott’s (current owner and driver) Toyota Celica Supra was the first factory Group A Supra and was built for Team Toyota Great Britain for Group A racing in Europe.

It was first raced by Win Percy in the British Saloon Car Championship during 1983 and 1984, before being entered for the prestigious Spa 24 hour race in July 1984, where Gordon Spice and the Martin brothers from Belgium finished 5th outright; the highest placed finish for a Toyota in that event.

The car came to Australia straight from Belgium in August 1984, to be raced by Sydney Toyota dealer Peter Williamson.

Williamson campaigned the car from 1984 until 1987, and along the way the car was driven by other well known drivers including Charlie O’Brien, Thomas Mezera and Mark Skaife. The car won the Group A class at the first event in Australia, the Castrol 500 at Sandown in 1984, and continued to win its class at that event ever year it competed there.

However at Bathurst, the car was best known for its crashes, including being involved in the start line crash in 1984 which brought out the red flag, and in 1986 the car was very badly damaged in a huge crash on Conrod Straight.

At the end of the 1987 season the car was sold to New Zealand, where it continued to race until 1989. It was then retired and not raced further until it was restored in 2005 by Abbott to continue racing in Historic Group A events.

The car is restored as it was entered at the Hardie-Ferodo 1000 at Bathurst 1986 for Peter Williamson and Mark Skaife, in its ‘big bad orange’ paint scheme. This was to be Mark Skaife’s first Bathurst, but unfortunately Williamson crashed the car before Skaife got to drive in the race.

The car is one of only 6 Mk 2 Supras to race in Group A worldwide, of which only three are thought to survive.

Last edited:
We are going to give a set of 4.56 Diff gears a whirl and will be fitted and tested before Christmas.

Thanks to Ian from HiperFauto for supply and decent freight rate to Australia. Supplied and freighted for less $ than my best freight rate I could negotiate.

Awesome to see the car still at it and going strong, cheers for going through and fixing up all the pictures in the thread too as this really is a important piece of motorsport history (plus its 242GT goodness). What course will you be aiming for with the 4.56 ratio? With no evidence to back up my theory I feel like most of australian course's have too long of a straight for that gearing to pay of but hope to be corrected haha.

I ran the gearing, speed,rpm and tyre diameter calculations through a number of the online calculators and cross checked them and don’t think any of the tracks will run us into trouble. Even the longest being Conrod straight at Bathurst.

The very detailed write ups from the 1979 race had its top speed down Conrod at 200kmh plus or minus 10kmh. All of that checks out.

We are hoping the change will improve our point to point times in all parts of the track and even if calculation a little out and we have to hold top end revs at end of some straights potentially still quicker lap time overall. That’s the theory anyway and don’t think we will actually have to rev limit in 5th but will soon know.

That reminds me a few pages yet to fix photo wise. Photo bucket you still suck and always will you dogs. I laugh every time I see an email from them attempting to sell their services. Or is it a ransom note? Sorry I digress. Rant over.

To finish it off on a good note our piece of history picked up a win in 2 to 3 litre Group C Category in the 2017 Heritage Touring Cars championship. We won it by .3 of one point so was very close.

Last edited:
We are hoping the change will improve our point to point times in all parts of the track and even if calculation a little out and we have to hold top end revs at end of some straights potentially still quicker lap time overall. That?s the theory anyway and don?t think we will actually have to rev limit in 5th but will soon know.
Not quite the same, my son races karts in a very large and competitive field. We are often making changes hoping for hundredths of a second improvement. 1st through 10th is usually all within 2 tenths of each other.
We set the gearing to be bouncing off the rev limiter right around half way down the longest straight. And I'll have to change gearing at least 2-3 times a weekend to optimize as the track rubbers in.

Back