• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 Experts - Adjustable Panhard Rod

sksmith

Have a question for the experts (Ken / Eric / Ian....)
I'm going to install a set of VP Auto's lowering springs on my 142. These should not slam this to the ground, which I do not want, but will give the car a more modern stance.
When I lower in, I know it will throw the rear to the passenger side, due to the Panhard rod. For this reason, I bought the rod that Ken had listed on here a week or so ago. I bought it as a back up, because I am thinking of making a adjustable Panhard rod. The one from Ken will be my back up.
So my question is, before I go grabbing my angle grinder & cutting wheel, does anyone know if the original bar is solid or hollow?
If it is solid, my thought is that I will cut out approx. 3" at the upper end, leaving about 3" at the bushing. I would then measure the bar and get some metal tubing to fit over it, weld it, and weld on a nut for some threaded rod. I would then weld this nut to the threaded rod, making the upper bushing end solid.
I would do the same to the other, but run the metal tube to approx. the original centerline of the of the rod.
I've posted a pic with my rough drafting in red to show what I thinking. Let me know if you think this would be a good solution to being able to bring the rear differential back to center.
Thanks,
Steve

bS2Sdlp.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Andrew.
I found those and the jack screws doing some googling last night.
I'll probably get to cutting it this weekend and figure out the ID. I went out & stuck a mic on it last night, looked like 1" OD.
Thanks,
Steve

I'm lowering it 1" or so. Bought these springs from VP Autoparts a few years ago:
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/US/main.aspx?page=article&artno=167100
Their listing is incorrect, the rears are not good thru 1973, but thru 1972. Unless it is a mid-year 73 change (I haven't looked).
I should have bought the set listed for 1974, since mine aren't double pigtailed on the rear. Ken (Redwood Chair) pointed me to a fix though.
Thanks Steve

The spring kit you bought does fit 142/144 -'73 with the following exclusions.

142 CH-393949 excl. 346664-347937, 348342-349858, 350292-368929. 369086-370266, 370612-372021, 372384-372641, 373933-374187,377188-377447.
144 CH-427999 excl. 367768-367830, 368390-369933, 370514-371911,372457-397561,
397952-399541,400062-400539.

What is your chassis #?

The spring kit you bought does fit 142/144 -'73 with the following exclusions.

What is your chassis #?

I'll have to check later. Watching the Yankees vs. Red Sux. :rofl:
I do know that I don't have the later 240 style upper mounts. But the lowers are the later style.

I have 140 Panhard bars in stock if you want to buy one

Thanks for the offer, but now that Ken pointed out the jackscrew, making one will be a piece of cake. Cut it, weld in a couple of bungs, boom! adjustable Panhard bar.
Thanks,
Steve

It would be interesting to see how much the axle actually moves for every inch a car is lowered. If you’re only going down one inch, you probably don’t even need to mess with it. Even though I have them on both cars the idea is kinda strange. Who changes their ride height that drastically and that often?

It would be interesting to see how much the axle actually moves for every inch a car is lowered. If you?re only going down one inch, you probably don?t even need to mess with it. Even though I have them on both cars the idea is kinda strange. Who changes their ride height that drastically and that often?

If someone got me a few measurements I could write a function/ calculator for both the axle shift and how much to shorten.

Sorry VW, the rear differential is already out, along with the torque rods, springs & Panhard bar.
Getting ready to powerwash the soft underbelly of the beast tonight. Then touching up, with epoxy primer, any areas that need it & then bedliner coating.
To make it adjustable, it is literally $20 in parts, delivered. And a couple of hours of my time cutting, welding, etc.
If I need to adjust it 1/6" or 2", it will be worth just for the satisfaction aspect.
Steve

Sorry VW, the rear differential is already out, along with the torque rods, springs & Panhard bar.
Getting ready to powerwash the soft underbelly of the beast tonight. Then touching up, with epoxy primer, any areas that need it & then bedliner coating.
To make it adjustable, it is literally $20 in parts, delivered. And a couple of hours of my time cutting, welding, etc.
If I need to adjust it 1/6" or 2", it will be worth just for the satisfaction aspect.
Steve

Agreed.
If you can at some point, can you measure the edge of the axle to the panhard mount as well as the width of the axle from edge to edge and the length of the panhard itself?
Jimbo

Back