• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

Not yet. Engine and trans are in, but that's it. My motivation has been low and I've been working on my Dad's Tacoma and my buddy's Civic. But I'll get it running in the next couple weeks. The stuff I have to do is just not fun.

I did get my sunroof painted and installed all new sunroof seals. Did a decent job, but they could definitely be straighter. I also need to adjust the rear of the sunroof up as well.

OLMYEmml.jpg

I've been rafting the middle fork of the salmon river in Idaho the past week, but I got most everything in before I left.

NT5Gibuh.jpg

I just need to get new spark plugs, fill the trans and engine with fluids, bleed the clutch, and install the exhaust and it should be ready to start. It won't be ready to drive until I get a big package from Ben. Hopefully that comes in the next week or so.

Thank you Ian. I didn't even know the part number for the washer reservoir. I'll have to buy some in the next month or so.

It’s really starting to look clean!

I bought a cheap expansion tank and it leaked pretty quickly from a poor seam, then bought an OE tank. A tiny investment in the continued refinement..

Windshield washer bottle hides well in the trunk ;)

It?s really starting to look clean!

I bought a cheap expansion tank and it leaked pretty quickly from a poor seam, then bought an OE tank. A tiny investment in the continued refinement..

Windshield washer bottle hides well in the trunk ;)

Oh, don't you worry, it's still plenty dirty. Haven't washed it since winter. It'll never be clean, but hopefully it will be fast.

rDT4tSPl.jpg

But I am pretty proud of some of the little things I made, like this turbo brace

LOuAYNcl.jpg

hN6bH7tl.jpg

I can't put the washer in the trunk. The battery is already there and I don't want to do the work. I'll just get one from Tasca or something.

I dont see that brace doing much for you. Typically when you have a tension - compression style turbo brace it is supposed to support the weight of the turbo so it would be a in vertical orientation. this only restricts against horizontal thermal related movement.

I dont see that brace doing much for you. Typically when you have a tension - compression style turbo brace it is supposed to support the weight of the turbo so it would be a in vertical orientation. this only restricts against horizontal thermal related movement.

Right, and I agree with you. It's ideal to support the weight of the turbo vertically. However, I don't have any space for that. The turbo is about 1 cm from touching the underside of the hood as it is. When I was looking at making a brace, I couldn't move the turbo vertically, but I could move it horizontally. Now that motion is constrained, so when I move the turbo, the whole engine moves. It's not ideal, but I think it'll help.

What radiator is in the car? I can't stand my yellowed overflow, it's embarrassing :oops:

do88. Pretty expensive, but buy once, cry once. I've had it for a good long while and have been happy with it.

Right, and I agree with you. It's ideal to support the weight of the turbo vertically. However, I don't have any space for that. The turbo is about 1 cm from touching the underside of the hood as it is. When I was looking at making a brace, I couldn't move the turbo vertically, but I could move it horizontally. Now that motion is constrained, so when I move the turbo, the whole engine moves. It's not ideal, but I think it'll help.

What about from underneath?

The hoses to the turbo are in the way, and there's no good mounting point on the block or head. I tried the threaded studs in the head that are for holding k jet fuel lines, but the turbo coolant line fittings were in the way. Also the turbine housing is pretty big, so that also gets in the way of mounting to the turbo flange on the manifold.

I think the turbo would move in an arc down and away from the flange on the head. So my idea was if I constrain horizontal motion, it will help with vertical motion a bit. I'd love to support the turbo from the top or bottom, but I just couldn't find the space so I came up with this.

If this were a competent build thread, you'd be hearing about how the first start went. But it's not. Instead you're hearing about how much of an idiot I am by putting the head gasket on wrong and creating a coolant leak. Gotta order a new gasket and fix it.

If this were a competent build thread, you'd be hearing about how the first start went. But it's not. Instead you're hearing about how much of an idiot I am by putting the head gasket on wrong and creating a coolant leak. Gotta order a new gasket and fix it.

Ha, well at least this thread is informative. One could even say ?cautionary?.

Oh ****! I did that on a 1.8t once. **** sucks

Back