• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Odometer Repair on a 1992 245

Old Iron

I Roll
My 1992 Volvo 245 had not had a working odometer when I got it back in May 2014. Vin checked showed that it had stopped working relatively recently. I got a new gear and swapped out the broken one. Still did not work, a few weeks later I hit the tripometer reset button and it suddenly started working. It worked great for about a 150 miles, then stopped again. Resetting the tripometer temporarily until it stopped working all together.

I took it out today and found that gear is still intact, not sure why it would work intermittently. When I put it back in it spun 2/10ths of a mile and quite again. Do I need to test the capacitors like in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaZvpGpGZS8

Or are there inner gears that may be toast that I need to locate if this assembly even comes apart any further? on a side note I do detect a slight burnt smell coming from the assembly.

http://www.davebarton.com/240-odometer-repair.html

Did you read all of Dave Bartons' info? Maybe a loose gear on a shaft. Been know to happen.

Ya, he doesn't really get into anything other then the gear replacement and customer comments!

Last edited:
STILL NOT WORKING?
IMPORTANT: READ THIS
While I have not directly experienced this myself, I was told by a speedo repair professional that on a number of occasions they had experienced a "dead" odometer after replacing a broken gear in one of these VDO electronic speedos. The speedo functioned worked, but the odometer just wouldn't turn.* On each of these occasions, the odometer would mysteriously start working after a period of driving . . . sometimes after an hour. Sometimes after a week.* So far, no one has been able to say precisely why this happens, but it is generally thought that there must be some sort of circuit breaker protection designed into the speedometer circuit board that finally resets after a period of time.* After I posted this information here, I began receiving identical reports from a number of customers who have installed new gears in VDO electronic speedos. So if this happens to you, you might give it some time and see if it comes back to life. If you have a similar experience, feel free to write me about it.

"Sure enough it started working after about an hour or so of driving. Specifically, I drove for about an hour without any action from the odometer, then shut it down for about 5-6 hours, then started another drive and it was working immediately upon starting out."* C.S., Raynham, MA

Thanks go to Martin Uden of Australia for submitting the below info:
"Read your page regarding odo repairs and I have good experience in repairing most electronic VDO units of this type that use the 25t gear.* They are found on Nissan Ford and Holden (GM) cars here in Australia and I also get the situation occasionally where the odo won’t work after changing the gear.* What I do to fix it (99% of the time this works) is to reassemble the instruments into the car without putting on the plastic front so that I can get to the odo digits.* I have a 3/16th inch thick length of plastic (so as not to harm the dials) that I have sharpened as you would a pencil and whilst the vehicle is moving, I physically “attack” the odo 1st number on its gear cog (odo, not the trip), gently pushing it back and forth until it begins working. Then of course you can remove the instrument housing and put it back together properly.* Usual disclaimer of course regarding fiddling whilst you drive is not legal!!* Hoping that may help the more impatient Volvo owner."

And one customer found his odometer suddenly begain working again 15,000 miles after his gear replacement!

Latest mystery fix email:
"Speedo now works after advice from others on making sure the 4-prong connector on the upper right was seated properly with the pins going into the 4 little boxes. I then followed your tip and physically pushed the odometer numbers with a nylon bolt sharpened at the end while running it and after about 6 tries of wiggling the digits back and forth the odo and trip sprang to life! You should really add the info on the 4 prong connector. Thanks."

And sure enough, there are occasionally some odometers that don't seem to return to life as one would hope.* Some of these might be a result of bad electronics, such as a bad motor or other component on a circuit board.* I know of a few that were found to be caused by a loose connection of the small electrical contacts inside the plug on the back of the speedo. After tweaking the contacts to get a better grip, things began working again.* And a few others were thought to be very small cracks in solder joints (there are three) for the odometer motor on the circuit board.* If you suspect a cracked solder joint, you might try re-soldering those joints if you have the tools for that.* Otherwise, I'm afraid at this point I seems to have run out of answers, except what I might do if unable to make things work . . . such as searching for another used speedometer.

And finally, here is a useful discussion thread on this subject: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=299341

Bottom of Daves site.

Same thing happened to my 92 with electronic speedometer. Would work for a mile or 2, stop working. Remove cluster and recheck everything then would work again for a mile or so then stop. After it stopped again I said screw it, I probably got the wrong toothed gear. Decided to just leave it be and look into it further. After maybe 50-60 miles of driving the odometer started working again. Maybe just keep driving it and see what happens.

I too have a very intermittent ODO seems to work more often than not but definitely misses a number of miles. I think around 50 on the last tank. I have yet to pull things out and investigate

Thanks for the info guys, problem is I don't have to go anywhere within an hour of hear for a while now. Work is 45 minutes away, so I can take this car if I want to and theoretically drive around for an extra 20 minutes, but really? Curious about this reset they are talking about, do I have to keep part of the cluster unplugged while driving it? Which Plug?

Also, other then the slight burnt smell, which could be entirely normal, the fuel gauge does from time to time read slightly lower then it is and then after a while, say five minutes go back up to the (what i assume to be correct level). Some times I am like "oh we have slightly more gas then I thought".

I guess I also need to start asking who on this site is my best source for a used assembly and can they reset the mileage for me so that it reads the mileage of this car!

Does anyone know of a list of speedo cluster numbers and what year they 240's they came on or can be used on!?

For 1992 the only replacement comes from another 92 or a 93. The K-number on the front of the gauge designates either wagon or sedan. The wagon came with taller tires, but that distinction is pretty much lost after two decades.

Gotcha, I have a few late 1980's late model clusters also, which I want to figure out what I can sell them as, I would rather hoar the 90's stuff, as I currently have a 1991,1992 and 1993 245! The earlier ones are seemingly useless to me!

After reading the loooong post (good info) and having repaired mine on the '87 240, just take it out and jiggle the digits. After not working, the gears get jammed. There is some part that is just a little stuck. If the new gear is installed correctly, you just have to move things a bit till it frees up.

At this pint I guess I can jiggle the heck out of some of it am not really have to worry that I am going to hurt anything!

Just send it to Overseas Speedometer. $125, and you've got it back quick, working, and with a 1 year warranty. I've stopped dicking around with them for this very reason.

If you post up the K or R number on the face of the speedo, we can tell you what they are for.

Great. I will write down the #'s next time I am in the shop! I appreciate it!

Just send it to Overseas Speedometer. $125, and you've got it back quick, working, and with a 1 year warranty. I've stopped dicking around with them for this very reason.

Good, point, this time I found a replacement but replacements won't always be available!

I still kick myself for selling the 1993 one I had that had 93,00O pampered miles!

Back