• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Intermittent "no power" on hard acceleration. 740 Turbo

ZVOLV

<Master Tech>
1991 740 Turbo. Every once in a while, when I slam the throttle open, it just bogs down and the engine wont rev. If I get off the throttle and back into it, it will usually work fine.

I haven't shaken it down yet, but ever since I did the head and IPD cam recently, sometimes when I punch the throttle it is completely flat. I dont have the turbo boosting right now. (I havent built the wastegate bracket yet)

The intake hose is solid and I dont think it's the problem.

The crank sensor is a little suspect.

Just this cold wet morning I came to a stop and it started idling low and running like crap. That's a new one. I have the valves set pretty tight. I'm gonna probably put it on the smoke machine to check for air leaks.

Tell me, Volvo masters, what stuff would you start checking??

edit- A torn IC hose I believe was the culprit.

Last edited:
Sounds really similar to the time I bent the pin in the connector to the EZK what was the fuel load communication between LH and EZK. Limp **** acceleration, inconsistent idle/run, super late ignition timing & the exhaust smelled like rotted eggs. Maybe check to see if there is an intermittent connection there? Any codes? what i described gave me code 144, but if its intermittent it might not set

A fuel pressure check may help. Also ignition advance is what is needed for acceleration.

I wonder if you are experiencing throttle tip in ping which would immediately cut your power. Maybe a flaky knock sensor?

Back