• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 behind B23ET questions

SlowBrick

Hi everyone,
About 5 months ago I completed a T5 swap into a 1977 245L which has a B23ET installed. I used Yoshifab+ Deeworks components and the swap went pretty well. I have been driving the car everyday and have come up a little stuck on a few things id like to fix. I guess ill just list them out and hopefully some of you guys/veterans can offer some advice :D

1. Throw out bearing: I reused a stock M47 throwout bearing with the plastic body and little metal clips on each side. In Australia all manual 240s use a hydro clutch setup. I also used the stock M47 clutch fork. The issue I have is that I seemingly have run out of adjustment before the bearing touches the PP fingers. Currently the clutch picks up right off the floor which ive learnt to drive but it can be a little annoying in traffic. I added about 4.5mm of pivot ball adjustment but cant help but feel this isnt the right thing to do. Another issue I have with the TO bearing is the god awful grinding/crunching noise it makes on decel at 3200 rpm +. If I pop in the clutch and snap it out the noise will sometimes go away. I first noticed this after doing a long 3 hour drive home and about halfway in noticed the noise had gotten louder and that the idle rattle was very loud. It went away the next day and Im assuming the bearing didnt like the long period of spinning on the PP. Is there another bearing I can use that will tolerate the constant spinning? I searched and found the mustang bearing can be used in constant contact but doesnt work with the Deeworks adapter plate.

2. Shifter: Im using a locally made Ford/Holden short shifter with a truck gearknob screwed into the top. Its ok...barely. Its way too short and gives a kinda good shift feel but id prefer something with a little more defined throws and increased length. This shifter feels like a video game shifter and my partner doesnt like it as sometimes she forgets which gear the car is in because of how little it moves. It also sits away from the driver which can add to the confusion. Something with a kink in it towards the right hand side of the car would be ideal but open to suggestions to what you guys have tried and liked. The shifter seems to be good quality but the driving position of a 240 is a fair bit higher than that of Falcon which makes the shifter a little uncomfortable.
https://cubespeed.com.au/shop?olsPa...alcon-xf-xg-xh-ea-eb-ed-ef-el-au-6-cyl-and-v8

Slowish acceleration: Before swapping in the T5 i had swapped in a 3.31 rear end to get a speed sensor to the LH2.4 computer. This worked fine with the M45 that was in the car but ive noticed a big drop in off the line acceleration with the T5. Its a 2.95 first gear T5 and I understand that this coupled with the straight up KG2T can lead to a slow accelerating combo. When it comes onto the boil it pulls like a train but off the line it easily gets eaten by Corollas until it builds boost. I was thinking about swapping in the rear for a 4.10 with the LH tone ring added. What do you guys think? Would 4.10 be too high for a car that also sees road trips? Im assuming it will make the 5 gear in the T5 mildly more useable as now its not until 140km/h or ~90 mph which is 30km/h higher than our speed limit hahaha.

Those are probably the three main issues I would like to address with the swap. Everything else seems to be pretty peachy.

Car specs are:

B23ET + LH2.4 with KG2T straight up
16t turbo on straight flange.
3 inch exhaust
WC T5 with 2.95 first
Yoshifab steel flywheel
Yoshifab clutch kit with FX250 plate
Deeworks T5 adapter kit.
3.31 rear end.
205/55/15 tyres on 740 steelies.

I know i'm asking alot but was just hoping to get some ideas for how to tackle these problems that a few of you might have already overcome.

Cheers,
Ryan

Back