• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

aw70 to m46

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
I have a 82 245 that has a m46 tranny in it just chilling in my driveway, that is going to get junked soon. How HARD is it to take off the stuff like the tranny and driveshaft? I would be so willing to do the conversion, but I only have a craftsmen 254 piece hand tool set :(

Kevin

If you've got the car sitting there, and you have 254 tools, I'm sure your covered. I built my entire 242 (including the motor) on a similar set up, though I had some more specialized tools, non of which are needed for doing a tranny swap.

You've got everything you need, I'd imagine you could do it in 3 days for sure.

Doug

Of course, just yanking stuff out is alot faster than having to put it back in. I would say three days of work and it will be done. HINT: follow the haynes manual exactly, don't skip around. Doing things out of order makes it twice as hard.

Michael

The biggest PITA is putting the pedal assembly back in. After pretzeling myself up under the dash for a few hours I could hardly move for two days! Oh, and you also have a little re-wiring to do around the OD relay. But, once it was done it was sure worth it.

As far as tools, I needed to buy a bigger slide-hammer kit to get the bushing out of the back of the auto crank and you need about three feet worth of extensions to get at the top bellhousing to engine bolts.

Good luck...

Justin B.

well.. my main things are just getting the m46 and stuff from the old car... I will be having a qualified mech install the tranny and clutch.

Justin Bowser said:
The biggest PITA is putting the pedal assembly back in. After pretzeling myself up under the dash for a few hours I could hardly move for two days! Oh, and you also have a little re-wiring to do around the OD relay. But, once it was done it was sure worth it.

As far as tools, I needed to buy a bigger slide-hammer kit to get the bushing out of the back of the auto crank and you need about three feet worth of extensions to get at the top bellhousing to engine bolts.

Good luck...

Justin B.

Snap on makes a cool tool that is perfect for the job (I used it). It's a slide hammer that has small little prongs, not unlike other pullers, but they go out instead of in. That way you slide it in through a hole, expand it out and viola pop the suckers right out!

Oh, and it does take atleast 3' of extenstions. Want to know a good trick for that too? When I was doing mine, and I couldnt reach the top bolts w/ my hand to put them back in, I used a piece of electrical tape and stuck it in my socket. This would hold the bolt well enough to keep it in the socket to get it in the hole! Works like a charm. You can also fix swivel sockets that are loose as a goose in a similar manner.

Doug

Back