home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #26
iLoveBeingTeaBagged
Board Member

Something else less likely to consider, is the engine mechanically timed properly? I’ve bought a 940 one time that was one tooth off (can’t remember if it was advanced or retarded), and under load the engine wanted to run much warmer. Might not be your issue though.

Keep in mind this was a 940, so the camshaft also drives the distributor which effects ignition timing (even though its computer controlled).
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata, 93k
95' Camry auto, 246k
93' Camry auto, 278k
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245T m47
92' 940 turbo AW71
94' 945T AW71(L?)
iLoveBeingTeaBagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #27
moustacio
Board Member

Thank you for the response. You know when I thought to start this thread I was wondering if it was something with the engine causing the warm running. I had the timing light out maybe 3-4 months ago to set idle speed and the timing showed 12* btdc. Or whatever the specification is, I think it's 12 though.

Also, the spark plugs look normal and at idle at least the a/f ratio is stoich (using a test light for lh2.2) and O2 sensor swings between ~0.1-0.9V.
moustacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #28
M.H. Yount
Board Member

How old is the “newer” radiator?”

And a question for all as I know nothing about these engines - if timing was advanced enough to cause overheating, would detonation be occurring?

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 02-17-2019 at 10:49 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #29
iLoveBeingTeaBagged
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
How old is the “newer” radiator?”

And a question for all as I know nothing about these engines - if timing was advanced enough to cause overheating, would detonation be occurring?
Retarded ignition timing would be more likely to cause an overheat situation, but I don’t think that is OPs issue.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #30
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Thx for the reminder - timing significantly off either way can contribute to overheating. Seems like in these situations where none of the usual suspects tests out to be the problem, someone often finds out that the rad has some internal problem - clogged with mineral deposits, corrosion or some such.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #31
iLoveBeingTeaBagged
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Thx for the reminder - timing significantly off either way can contribute to overheating. Seems like in these situations where none of the usual suspects tests out to be the problem, someone often finds out that the rad has some internal problem - clogged with mineral deposits, corrosion or some such.

Driving habits can play a big part too. Extended driving in boost can attribute to overheating but that is much less common. Also, being mistimed can cause you to have to push the gas harder which can make you stay in boost. I’ve seen it before.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #32
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Mechanical temp gauge.. Maybe the line is picking up radiant heat from turbo and downpipe.

Still do the other suggested checks through, good suggestions. Is the heater core clean and free for coolant flow? Coolant flow from the back of the head is good for keeping things cool.
Maybe the smaller pump pulley on a turbo, higher flow and resulting pressure. Stealthfti wrote some interesting findings about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote