• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Progess might be a bit slow as well in the near future as I'm designing and building a CNC Router and plasma cutter (1 machine). Once it's finished, it will help a great deal with the stuff I still need to make. To be continued.

xclj11.jpg

Cool project! But why did you decide to go with ball bearings instead of linear guideways with a router?

Cool project! But why did you decide to go with ball bearings instead of linear guideways with a router?

Thanks! I went with the round linear rails and bearing blocks mostly due to cost and the fact that they are a bit more forgiving to misalignment. From what I've seen with other people using them, they should be accurate and stable enough for what I want to do with it. I'll use it mainly for wood, plastic and aluminium.

I'm very interested in what you've got planned for idle control. I'm currently running without, and while it's fine, it would be nice to have good idle cold starts without my input.

No progress at all yet, been a bit distracted with other stuff. Finally got myself a lathe :D It's a Mondiale Celtic 14 from 1961 (370mm max diameter and 1m between centers), it hadn't been used for a long time but seems well taken care off. Cleaned everything, changed the oil in all 4 gearboxes and repainted it green again. Wasn't a fan of the blue.

1rbzwo.jpg

120rz42.jpg

mcbukj.jpg

12496v7.jpg

2qtbvac.jpg

fkskjk.jpg

That's kind of what I'm aiming for with the sound, to get a real V12 howl.

Finally got the adapter I needed for my new micro Tig torch to fit my machine. Welded 2 of the 4 manifolds today. It works great, although it's a pita to do. The joint where the runners slide into the collectors that needed to be welded is about 10cm into the collector and the hole is pretty small to work from, so you can only ever see what you're welding with 1 eye at the time, so no depth perception. But it worked, should be nice and air tight now.

vwws52.jpg

25rmcf6.jpg

153uowk.jpg

And my ghetto backpurging setup (which is now on the outside as I'm welding the inside), but it did the trick.

29cxmoz.jpg

mcyohl.jpg

Finally got the adapter I needed for my new micro Tig torch to fit my machine. Welded 2 of the 4 manifolds today. It works great, although it's a pita to do. The joint where the runners slide into the collectors that needed to be welded is about 10cm into the collector and the hole is pretty small to work from, so you can only ever see what you're welding with 1 eye at the time, so no depth perception. But it worked, should be nice and air tight now.

vwws52.jpg

That's still a pretty tight fit, but crazy access, reminds me of why I need to get myself a TIG:-P Nice work as usual on the headers!

Any projects completed on the new awesome lathe yet?

That's still a pretty tight fit, but crazy access, reminds me of why I need to get myself a TIG:-P Nice work as usual on the headers!

Any projects completed on the new awesome lathe yet?
Thanks! No not much yet, didn't have time lately for anything but I should have some time finally next week. Hope I can finally make a bit of progress there :)

Finally could do something. Welded the remaining 2 collectors on the inside, welded the runners to the flanges on the inside too and then ground the mounting surface flat again. Then I welded an extension for the secondaries to clamp onto and finally installed them. I hope they don't have to come off again as they are a pita to install. All other progress was sort of depending on this They needed to be on the car to do the rest that has to route around it etc. All ancillaries can now be installed too. Next up is everything else under the hood.

2e58gfm.jpg

35lybv7.jpg

17sh29.jpg

140lyew.jpg

142zhw3.jpg

2ezqt6w.jpg

e8mkiu.jpg

j9bnfs.jpg

35jxw8m.jpg

sopf2r.jpg

Got started on the radiator. I would've liked to use the stock S600 one, but it is too wide to fit between the Volvo frame rails so I got an Ebay one with a nicely sized core and a trans cooler and modified it. It's for a Chevy Nova I think, it has an integrated coolant resevoir and cap which I don't like so I modded it to work with an expansion tank. Cut a bit off of the large side and added some to the weird small side. I also made new correctly sized inlet and outlet fittings on it. The stock ones where a lot smaller than the ones on the engine. I still have to add the little hose fitting that goes to the expansion tank. I cut away the stock Volvo radiator mounts and will mount this one between the headlights, about 60mm further forward than stock. This gives me enough space for a decent fan behind it. The S600 oil cooler will live in front of it and fits exactly behind the air intakes in the front air dam.

15cfqfm.jpg

2drbbzk.jpg

16avcbm.jpg

2hgef41.jpg

11141lw.jpg

1zz3mrn.jpg

2a7j34o.jpg

2mpwxsh.jpg

rlyvza.jpg

9gd6hg.jpg

eak20i.jpg

sxkks6.jpg