• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.4 Flywheel sensor mounted to the front of the engine?

thebutterson

Please be patient with me, as I'm a BMW guy trying to gather Volvo knowledge.

What I'm trying to do is convert an 85 318i to run on lh2.4, but the big issue I'm running into is figuring out how to get the flywheel sensor sorted out. To run it in the volvo configuration, I'd have to get my flywheel custom machined, grind out part of the transmission bell housing and then drill and tap a mount into the block for the sensor, seems like too much work.

So I'm trying to come up with a way to mount the sensor in front of the engine and read it off some kind of trigger wheel. I was wondering if anybody has seen this sort of thing done before as I haven't been able to find anything from searching yet.

I know I could get around all of it by going with LH2.2, but I really want a tuneable EZK.

You can probably mount a 60-2 on the crank pulley. Here's one my brother and I cut in to the pulley/damper on a whiteblock:
DSC00167.JPG

I don't have any first hand experience, but here's a 60-2 trigger wheel i made at same time a while ago when i did a batch of 36-1 trigger wheels.

kuuskytkaks.jpg

If i remeber correctly it was to be used in a B20 engine at the front at with LH2.4. B20 is a pushrod Volvo engine used in Volvos during the 1960s and 1970s. It certainly never came with LH2.4 from the factory.

I'm not sure if the stock Volvo LH2.4 VR sensor or some other VR sensor was used, there might've been something with the polarity of the sensor or some such thing, as that trigger wheel in the picture is different to the Volvo flywheel trigger in that way, that on the LH2.4 flyhweel there are no missing teeth, but missing gaps, (i.e. the missing area is actually a filled area), but my point is that there should not be any big or unsolvable issues in getting a front trigger to work.

So if you have a trigger wheel made, you should probably make it with the Volvo flyhwheel pattern, rather than with the pattern shown in the image.

Last edited:
i got a ford 36-1 wheel bolted to the front of a stock volvo pulley. it's very simple hot rodding but it hasn't skipped a beat in 3 years.

you can absolutely do what you are trying to do.

is there any way you can fit the crank pulley, or at least the trigger wheel from an m20b25? they have factory crank pulley mounted 60-2 trigger wheel.

i know i'd find a way to make that work.

Thanks for the great response guys. I see a lot of the MS guys doing the 36-1 wheel on the stock pulley, and I've seen 60-2 wheels for sale to use with other systems, but haven't seen anything like the volvo's flywheel setup.

Now that we've established people have used 60-2 wheels, have any used them with lh2.4? I'm wondering if the trigger wheel will cause problems since the ring uses square holes with an air gap.

I'm pretty sure all of the bmw motronic systems used a 60-2 wheel, the question is just how to get that on my pulley, and whether or not the sensor will read it correctly. Otherwise I'll have to have some kind of ring fabbed up that has holes in it, and get that attached to my pulley.

A 60-2 is a 60-2, doesn't matter if it's holes or slots. The setup I posted a picture of uses what is essentially an LH2.4 VR sensor. As long as your sensor mount is stout enough and you get the missing tooth in the right place, you're golden.

Awesome, that will help me out a lot. It'll be a lot cheaper to use a 60-2 wheel than a custom slotted ring.

Back