• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie looking for advice/options for my 240

Whats wrong with getting into boost? Unless you are a hypermiler, but then you wouldn't be driving an old Volvo lol. If there's not enough power step on the gas harder.
Nothing wrong with an automatic either, not quite as fun but it's still a lot of fun.
The US #'s on manual vs auto are quite a bit difft than France or whatever, it's something that can be done down the road anyway.
Nothing wrong with a +T either, just don't turn the psi up as much. Watch AFR and knock, no big deal. If you aren't going to do an engine swap or rebuild, a +T is the way to go.

Nothing wrong with an automatic either, .

Wrong!

iu

Lol, seen that one a million times tho.
If you have ever dealt with a loved one who doesn't care enough about cars to learn a manual but needs to drive the car, who cares? Use the automatic. Adding the turbo is a way bigger deal than the transmission. A manual N/A rocking 115 hp or whatever is not going to be nearly as fun as an automatic with more than twice that power. I have a manual 242 with no turbo, but does have Megasquirt EFI, which I like to think gives it a few more hp, but dam its slow as hell anyway.
If someone says a manual is out of the question why do we insist on it? You don't know the circumstances.
OP wants a bit more fun, pretty sure he's not looking to build the ultimate driving machine.
Turbo manifold, turbo, injectors, chips, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler +piping, oil lines, maybe I forgot something, done = fun 240

What, you think a factory turbo car makes a better DD?

Whats wrong with getting into boost? Unless you are a hypermiler, but then you wouldn't be driving an old Volvo lol. If there's not enough power step on the gas harder.
Nothing wrong with an automatic either, not quite as fun but it's still a lot of fun.
The US #'s on manual vs auto are quite a bit difft than France or whatever, it's something that can be done down the road anyway.
Nothing wrong with a +T either, just don't turn the psi up as much. Watch AFR and knock, no big deal. If you aren't going to do an engine swap or rebuild, a +T is the way to go.
Never said it was wrong to go into boost..other than killing mpgs. But a +t reacts way better to boost (holding all else equal) than a factory turbo car.

Higher compression will do that for sure, my point is that it destroy the motor easier if not monitored correctly, that's all I was trying to say.

Higher compression will do that for sure, my point is that it destroy the motor easier if not monitored correctly, that's all I was trying to say.

That?s why you monitor it 'correctly'. They were tuned extremely conservatively from the factory, because gas was not as good in the 90s. Run a mid to high grade premium fuel in a +t and it is just fine. I?m talking a stock-ish daily drifer, nothing crazy. Obviously stock for stock you will be more limited on an NA-T engine.

Lol, seen that one a million times tho.
If you have ever dealt with a loved one who doesn't care enough about cars to learn a manual but needs to drive the car, who cares? Use the automatic. Adding the turbo is a way bigger deal than the transmission. A manual N/A rocking 115 hp or whatever is not going to be nearly as fun as an automatic with more than twice that power. I have a manual 242 with no turbo, but does have Megasquirt EFI, which I like to think gives it a few more hp, but dam its slow as hell anyway.
If someone says a manual is out of the question why do we insist on it? You don't know the circumstances.
OP wants a bit more fun, pretty sure he's not looking to build the ultimate driving machine.
Turbo manifold, turbo, injectors, chips, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler +piping, oil lines, maybe I forgot something, done = fun 240

I do know the circumstances..This sub-forum is called, and has been called for over 15 years
" performance & modifications "

Nothing in the world can destroy the performance of a car quicker than poorly matched gearbox ratios and final drive...Volvo's Automatics--for whatever lame, lazy, BS rationalization you care to plague the world with----are the antithesis..the antipode, the contra, the contradictory, the contrary, the contrast, the inverse, the counter, the reverse, the antipole of performance,

And thus an insurmountable virtual Himalaya to making any performance in the engine..

Maybe, just possibly, some of us are just tired of having to pretend to understand the "need" that 88% of American drivers trot out why automatic...when 98 and 97% of those temperamental, hot blooded, emotional Latins easily do.

Ok guys lets all calm down for a moment. I like hearing all your opinions and I agree auto is not going to have the same control as a manual. I can always convert it to a manual down the road if I decide to do that. My goals are pretty consertive as much as I would love to have a race car I am thinking a little more on the practical side. I'm more interested in exploring what's possible and what's out there as far as performance goes. I think the B230f is a nice solid engine even in stock form and perhaps there isn't much that can be done to improve in the way of engine performance. I can always tweak the suspension and handling however I was interested to see if there were power options as well. Once again I really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Don't make the 240 fast and you'll have money to spend on life's other things.

Remember this: fast, cheap, reliable, you can only have two.

Ok guys lets all calm down for a moment. I like hearing all your opinions and I agree auto is not going to have the same control as a manual. I can always convert it to a manual down the road if I decide to do that. My goals are pretty consertive as much as I would love to have a race car I am thinking a little more on the practical side. I'm more interested in exploring what's possible and what's out there as far as performance goes. I think the B230f is a nice solid engine even in stock form and perhaps there isn't much that can be done to improve in the way of engine performance. I can always tweak the suspension and handling however I was interested to see if there were power options as well. Once again I really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Tb newb performance faq

I wanna know why everyone is always going on about a fuel economy. Seriously? You bought a freaking old turdy Volvo and you're worried about MPGS in an auto? Well, that's your first mistake buying an auto. If you're family members aren't willing to learn to drive a manual, so what? They probably don't want to drive your ratty/crusty Volvo anyways.

You wanna keep it N/A for whatever dumb reasons you've come up, okay but just be fine with driving a slow car and there is nothing wrong with that.

Doing a +T is the best option as its something that is completely reversible. You will absolutely need an automatic from a turbo car or you'll end up with a broken car that you probably won't fix.

Cam/exhaust upgrade will make very little difference unless you have a manual but you've already relegated yourself to having an auto-tragic.

Again, this will depend on your abilities to carry out such a project, others factors include an investment of time and money of which you haven't mentioned. Are you able to complete the work without screwing up your car? If you are beginner, are you willing to learn and have your car down for days/weeks/months at a time?

If this is your daily driver, throw all your hopes and dreams out the window because it ain't going to happen.

This is all good information and definitely interesting to hear the different approaches I could take. After reading some of the latest posts I have decided to add a fifth option to my list.

option #5: Keep my pennies and just buy a turbo.

I think it would be a good idea to consider that owning two vehicles might be a logical option as opposed to modifying one. I could buy a turbo w manual trans for spirited driving and hang onto the B230F so grandma can drive to the doctor. In my opinion this could be a real world option if it financially made more sense to buy another car rather than modifying the original B230F. I don't believe that NA is better or worse than a turbo or a turbo is better or worse than an NA vehicle. I do believe each serves a purpose and a lot of that depends on the driver and what kind of balance he or she is looking for or willing to live with. It is not uncommon for someone to own a winter car, beater car, 4wd car, racing car or wagon for the specific specific purpose that would best fit their lifestyle. I am approaching this thread without a bias towards one or the other I like powerful cars and I like practical cars a balance of the two is always a plus as well. I am trying to make decisions based on real world considerations. With that in mind I look forward to hearing the pros and cons as I consider the myriad of options associated with modifying.

This is all good information and definitely interesting to hear the different approaches I could take. After reading some of the latest posts I have decided to add a fifth option to my list.

option #5: Keep my pennies and just buy a turbo.

I think it would be a good idea to consider that owning two vehicles might be a logical option as opposed to modifying one. I could buy a turbo w manual trans for spirited driving and hang onto the B230F so grandma can drive to the doctor. In my opinion this could be a real world option if it financially made more sense to buy another car rather than modifying the original B230F. I don't believe that NA is better or worse than a turbo or a turbo is better or worse than an NA vehicle. I do believe each serves a purpose and a lot of that depends on the driver and what kind of balance he or she is looking for or willing to live with. It is not uncommon for someone to own a winter car, beater car, 4wd car, racing car or wagon for the specific specific purpose that would best fit their lifestyle. I am approaching this thread without a bias towards one or the other I like powerful cars and I like practical cars a balance of the two is always a plus as well. I am trying to make decisions based on real world considerations. With that in mind I look forward to hearing the pros and cons as I consider the myriad of options associated with modifying.

2pgcdb.jpg

Here's a great combo that is fun for daily use and very spunky. B230f+t, 16t, tcam, efan, aw71 or 72l, the L is better because of the lock up. Then swap in some 4.10s. that combo will be completely reliable, fun and easy to drive. Also on top of that it can be done for cheap

Here's a great combo that is fun for daily use and very spunky. B230f+t, 16t, tcam, efan, aw71 or 72l, the L is better because of the lock up. Then swap in some 4.10s. that combo will be completely reliable, fun and easy to drive. Also on top of that it can be done for cheap

Yeah or you could use your head and spend $3k building a 175hp na engine..which makes WAY more sense than using a tried and true combo for quick and reliable.

:roll:

Merry Christmas, Roy.

Thank you redblock jesus. There is still hope for the op. :lol:

I agree.......but if you have a wife and you have a job I find having 3 running rides is important if you wanna have fun with one car. I was down a car for a couple week on an engine swap and maintance needed, then my other car **** the water pump....I be scrambiling to get to work.

Back