• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

how psi a stock can support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

740freak

Hello,

I have a 740 '88 with stock turbo. dont know what it is. I need to rebuild it. But the problem i have in mind is.. if i spend 800$ on a rebuild, and i want to make more psi.. does he will support 10-15psi? otherwise.. if i buy a new turbo like a GT28R or something like that.. and i boost 10-15 psi im sure it will be ok!

but some turbo geek here can answer my question. A rebuild or a new turbo.

thanks for your help.

Last edited:
find a 90 oe newer manifold, and at least a .63/.60 t3 turbo from a turbo ford, or a t3/4 hybrid turbo. that will support 15psi easily... but will your engine?

What are your goals?

a gt28r is a serious turbo, if you put that on a stock car its not going to perform the way it should/could.

Infector 944 said:
find a 90 oe newer manifold, and at least a .63/.60 t3 turbo from a turbo ford, or a t3/4 hybrid turbo. that will support 15psi easily... but will your engine?

What are your goals?

a gt28r is a serious turbo, if you put that on a stock car its not going to perform the way it should/could.

Actually a 28R/RS really isn't that big a turbo. In the scheme of things you can make similar HP levels with a TD04-19T for alot less money.

If your going to spend the money for a GT series, the SMALLEST I'd go is a 2871R. Its just hard to argue dollar/performance value for the smaller GT's imo.

Tobys right a good hybrid would do the job for most people here while being light on the wallet.

but then again, its not the turbo thats expensive, its all the other supporting mods (cam, headwork, intercooler, exhaust ect) and a way to tune the motor (chip or standalone) that adds up fast.

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for the answer.
My goal is to make a streetable race car the next year. :) I want to be in the next season of autoX.

I have recently crached the car : diff, tran, etc.. is out. the turbo has some problem too, i need to upgrade diff, the tranny i can get it and rebuilt its a M46 with O/D.

I plan to be around 300hp next year, but the question i got is .. a rebuild of the current turbo? or a new one.. i have no info about the current turbo i have.. dealer told me maybe a Garret or a Mitsubishi.. but they can't told me.. its depend month of the year of the car.

So.. if i go with a turbo rebuild.. someone can do it for 800$.. 800$ for a rebuilt, i think its expansive because its not new.. he can sell me a GT28R for 1500$.. a new one.. thats why i asked for.

If you think the better turbo i can get for this moment is a hybrid its ok, i will check about that.

I will run 7psi stock boost with the new turbo and get the stuff i need for the engine.

for the engine. i have little plan but a lots of questions i will post when i will begin the job.. :)

If you ask my goal for now, i will answer, i need the car run! :)
i plan to get a 940/960 diff with lsd (dont know if its a good idea) and begin the tranny rebuilt as soon as possible this week.

need brake system too, but i have found it!

what do you think about the way i think?

I think the Gt series ball bearing turbos make a tremendous difference. but unfortunately at this juncture in time they are expensive. faster spool, longer spool, earlier spool, at twice the price of a non ball bearing turbo. If your not trying to build a competition car, a t3/t4 will be comparable at even a 1/4 of the price.

Just letting you know, a 300hp turbo application, especially if decide to run cross, will require the following

90 plus manifold,

Because your block is of the early b230's, you should really get stronger rods, might as well c/o pistons for some good stuff.

You will need a new Intercooler, get a isuzu npr, not too expensive and they fit well to your volvo.

Would either suggest an mbc or saab apc to regulate boost, the saab apc monitors knock and will back off boost automatically if knock is detected so it will help. Its a little more of a bitch to install, and it can be quirkier to run.

Definnitaly get a bigger exhaust, custom dp, etc.

I really dont think your rebuilt m46 will take a track beating with 300hp going thru it, plan to upgrade to a getrag.

There are many other supporting mods you will want, these are the elementary ones, you can find much more info than ive given you on these items by searching the board.

Good luck

a few m46's can take that kind of power

some here are holding 320+ whp and 400+ tq all @ the wheels so. At the crank that is a fair amount more

thanks a lot, its this kind of informations im searching for! :)

I have a deal on a 16g(or b) turbo or maybe a t3/t4.. witch one do you suggest me?

My exhaust line is now in 2.5p with magnaflow.
for the diff.. what you suggest me? does it ok to get a 940/960? some people told me a mustang diff can fit.

what do you think?

thanks a lot for informations.

bye!

740freak said:
thanks a lot, its this kind of informations im searching for! :)

I have a deal on a 16g(or b) turbo or maybe a t3/t4.. witch one do you suggest me?

My exhaust line is now in 2.5p with magnaflow.
for the diff.. what you suggest me? does it ok to get a 940/960? some people told me a mustang diff can fit.

what do you think?

thanks a lot for informations.

bye!

Well, the 16g is a td05, and although ive heard of them being put on your year volvos, i have heard they can be quite troublesome to install. As far as the t3/t4 goes, it is an easier install but it would require machining on the manifold flange to eliminate that little lump that makes this manifold only adaptable to mitsubishi's

You can make more power with the t3t4, depending on trim of course, than with the 16g,

The easiest and lowest cost swap, is to swap a td04 15g, you can get alot more power out of these than one would think, if im not mistaken there is a board member who made high 13's with this turbo.

The diff on the 940 is stronger and im pretty sure they all have eaton lockers on them. The lockers are good for launching traction, but ive heard they can be a little problematic when turning agressively because they kick on and off making the rear end rather twitchy, maybe we can get some feedback on this from someone who has tried it. Your best bet is an lsd, but i dont know who makes em, ive heard of using Jeep cherokee diffs

Thanks for info.

i will search for a td04 15g if i can find one.

For the Cherokee diff. does it lsd? because if i do autoX or a race like that, i need to turn not only go in a line! :)
does the cherokee diff can fit easily? what do you think i need to change for the fitting?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back