• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Quick radiator question

soclosenotnear

In a pinch, I've thrown a n/a 940 radiator into my '95 944 turbo. I'll find out if it cools well enough if I can get the car driving. It doesn't do any traffic or anything.

My question is besides the transmission cooler lines, there is another plug on the passenger side. It literally pulls out with no effort and I can't imagine it seals, especially with pressure. My car has an m47 and if it's trans cooler related, then it's irrelevant. What does this plug seal/go to?

In a pinch, I've thrown a n/a 940 radiator into my '95 944 turbo. I'll find out if it cools well enough if I can get the car driving. It doesn't do any traffic or anything.

My question is besides the transmission cooler lines, there is another plug on the passenger side. It literally pulls out with no effort and I can't imagine it seals, especially with pressure. My car has an m47 and if it's trans cooler related, then it's irrelevant. What does this plug seal/go to?

Its an overheat switch on some 7/9, and it is the main cooling fan switch on Regina cars. Don’t use it to trigger your fan, LH will do that for you in a 95.

The radiator is plenty big enough to cool your car unless it’s making a lot of power.

As for keeping that little switch pushed in, Ive seen people use some thin bailing wire and attach it somewhere so it’s impossible for it to pop out. I think I JB welded mine, don’t recommend it though.

But if you switched to a snmakler rad, does the shroud still fit? Or did you go mechanical fan? The shroud fitting well is important.

So, that plug sees radiator coolant and not trans cooler fluid? I don't need it to do anything but stay in it's place. The "plug" is literally a plastic plug. I didn't notice the hole being threaded. The plug would almost fall off if flipped over. There's nothing holding it on more than a small amount of friction, so if it sees coolant pressure, it won't stay plugged. My old radiator had no such provision.

If it's the same as a 240/740 radiator it uses a rubber seal that expands when the sensor or plug is inserted. Coolant will swell the seal so that it won't pop out under pressure but it's still a good idea to use a zip tie just in case.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-rubber-bushing-1378869

fe366f787f56a6167be34c00424f977f.jpg

So, that plug sees radiator coolant and not trans cooler fluid? I don't need it to do anything but stay in it's place. The "plug" is literally a plastic plug. I didn't notice the hole being threaded. The plug would almost fall off if flipped over. There's nothing holding it on more than a small amount of friction, so if it sees coolant pressure, it won't stay plugged. My old radiator had no such provision.

Yes it sees coolant only and full cooling system pressure. Do what you want to hold it in place, because even when working how it’s supposed to, Ive seen them pop out. Especially in traffic when coolant temps and pressures rise.

Btw, a 75kpa cap is a good upgrade on any 7/9 IMO.

Mine popped out in traffic, that was not fun. Do anything you can to secure it.

So the story; it popped and lost all coolant immediately. I coasted to the side of the elevated road I was on, and a friend happened to drive by. He pulled over and towed me with a rope to a gas station where we got some water and tried to find something to plug the hole. Key word, 'plug'. Turns out a stock spark plug FIT PERFECTLY. Shoved it in and I drove slowly home, about 5 mi. No lie.

Mine popped out in traffic, that was not fun. Do anything you can to secure it.

So the story; it popped and lost all coolant immediately. I coasted to the side of the elevated road I was on, and a friend happened to drive by. He pulled over and towed me with a rope to a gas station where we got some water and tried to find something to plug the hole. Key word, 'plug'. Turns out a stock spark plug FIT PERFECTLY. Shoved it in and I drove slowly home, about 5 mi. No lie.

It?s not a threaded hole, correct? How did you end up permanently plugging it?

No it's not threaded, the spark plug just jammed in there sufficiently.
Well it is an all metal radiator so I had it welded shut. My other cars have wire or zip ties on that plug, or the sensor.

No it's not threaded, the spark plug just jammed in there sufficiently.
Well it is an all metal radiator so I had it welded shut. My other cars have wire or zip ties on that plug, or the sensor.

Oh okay being all metal probably helps. Wonder if a spark plug would seal on a plastic end tank.

Back