• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 nuke

Wagontilly

halfway on my 10 hour drive to school I pulled off the highway in my 94 940. Before this point I hadn't had any trans problems. When I came to a stop it went down into 1st but then wouldn't get out of it. After trying to find a mechanic on a sunday and finding a low bid of $1000 on a tow I decided to try and somehow get it home. I was able to drive it the next 5 hours once I finally feathered it into third. Ive only had a t5 and m47s in the past and am trying to figure out what to do here. Rebuild? Replace? is it safe to go for a junkyard aw71? Any TB have a nice one to ship? I want to do this right the first time any suggestions would go a long way

Cheapest option is to find the best junkyard trans that you can. Clean it up and re-seal it before you install in your car.

Btw... I have low mileage aw71L that I would be willing to ship.

yep, and maybe shim the accumulators and clean the pan/filter while you've got it on the ground

I want to go junkyard route but I live in Utah currently. Redblocks barely exist here, the ones that do are rust buckets, and there is a foot of snow on the ground. looking for one shipped most likely

When taking a torch to a rust bucket to hack the trans out after flipping the car onto it's side...one does not have to feel bad grasshopper

From recent experience, AW71s are getting harder to find, at least with parts recyclers that list online. While they were used in many Japanese cars along with Volvos in the 90s, the price of metal and programs offering larges sums of money for your environment killing old ('90s) car, have worked to make them rare. Many perfectly good AW71s are going to crushers along with the cars they were in.

[In October, a friend needed one for a '94 945T. My mechanic found one for $650 on the East Coast. In December, I needed one for my '92 944T. Same mechanic looked again and the best he could find was from the west coast for $850. He didn't find any on the East coast.]

Prices differ from region to region. I bought a perfectly good one for $40. I didn't have to pull it or anything. A local had it for sale.

Stuck kickdown cable?

I had the opposite issue with my daughter's long dead 244. Somehow the kickdown cable popped off the throttle spool, so it never spooled. If you drove it, it would almost immediately shift through 1,2, and into 3rd. LIke at 15 mph. Ooof.

Back