• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v 230 won?t start?

I do have adjustable cam gears but currently have them at “0”. Maybe I should compare with the one stock one I have? One broke in transit.

The cams cannot be interchanged.. the one has a slot f?r die distributor, the other hasnt..

Could you please provide pics.. you want us to tell from miracles what your problem is... in other words.. your error documentation is ****ty...

So you checked TDC with a rod in the sparkplughole? maybe your Pulley timing is off.. so verify TDC with the marks on the beltpulley..

did you use the 16v distributor or the 8v distributor? if you used the 8v one, it doesn't align the same..

shoot ignition timing at the cam gear, those don't slip. if it's in the ball park of tdc on #1 you're good. if it's waaaaaay off (45+ degrees), you've got an issue either with the pickup or the distributor.

Apologies guys, haven?t had time to post due to work. I?ll get a pic up if I can work out how to do it shortly. Tried original flywheel and still the same. Borrowing compression tester this evening so willl update on that. I?d be amazed if lifters are pumped as it hadn?t run once.

even when theyre not it should run...

I've had issues with mine on more than one occasion not starting initially after sitting for a bit, with no compression, then slowly catching back up. Not sure if that's lack of pumping up or excessively pumping up. mom's 850 would do the same thing if you let it sit long enough as well.

I've had issues with mine on more than one occasion not starting initially after sitting for a bit, with no compression, then slowly catching back up. Not sure if that's lack of pumping up or excessively pumping up. mom's 850 would do the same thing if you let it sit long enough as well.

Ok? Never had this issue on mine and it sits due to this "every other **** goes before my projectcar crap" sometimes more than 3 months or so.. ok.. i have INA VW Lifters? Dont know.. also there this urban legend that firing up the 6cyl whiteblock and shutting it off after a few seconds will deprime the lifters so it wont start and flood itself.. i never had this issue also..

I?m trying the strobe tomorrow morning but have been wondering in the mean time if a wasted spark set up would get rid if the dizzy issue as a reasonable cost option ?

It seems you are spending a lot of time without verifying the important things.
1. Cranking pressure. Use a compression gauge. Disconnect the coil, disconnect the fuel injectors. Crank the engine over using the starter 3-5 revolutions with the throttle wide open. Report back what those numbers are for each cylinder.

2. Set the engine to TDC on cylinder #1. Use a rod in the plug hole, and VERIFY it with the crank pulley and the timing marks on the lower cover. Does the crank pulley mark line up with the timing marks in the cover?
3. With the engine at TDC #1, check the camshaft timing and the aux shaft timing is correct. The timing marks on the cam gears need to align with the ones on the valve cover (basically 90deg to the head surface). Aux shaft mark should point to the plastic mark on the timing cover. Is this correct?
4. With the engine at TDC #1, where is the rotor on the distributor pointing? Does this make sense for how your plug wires are ran?
5. Do you have the plug wires going to the correct cylinders?
Do these things, take pictures, report back.

If you can't get an engine to start why would it make sense to make it more complicated and hack in some more electronics?

8v distributor needed turning 90 deg anti- clockwise to match position of 16v one! If only fixes were usually this simple. Put TTV flywheel back on and it?s starting up fine, so clutch and box back on next.

Back