• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wipers parking middle of screen. Late 240

GJM

Hi all,

In the heavy rain today the wipers on my 1991 240 were juddering across the screen quite badly. There then came a faint rattling from behind the dash and lastly the wipers started parking half way up the screen... great.

I did a quick search online and took the cover off of the late style wiper motor but couldn't see a great deal other than the big plastic gear. I cleaned up the plug and contacts I could get at. No change. Couldn't see how to remove the gear or take apart any more of the motor.

I then had a look to see if if the bolt on the back of the motor to the linkage had come loose, nope. Although there seemed to be a lot of play into the back of the motor.

I took the motor off to have a look but didn't shed any light. Refitting it seemed to remove some of the play laterally into the back of the motor.

But still not parking correctly.

Heard several people say they've had similar problems and have just fitted a new motor? That the easiest option?

Thanks
Graham

Yeah I think you're right. I know where I can get one locally.
I tried removing the wiper arms and re positioning them where I want them to park (bottom of windscreen obvs) but when activated they started attacking the bonnet...

Somebody has said to remove the linkage from the back of the motor and turn the small arm that links the motor to linkage 180 degrees to stop it attacking the bonnet and adjust till it stops where I want it... but yeah... ultimately the park function has failed right...

Thanks freevolvos. So fitting a new motor sounds like answer. From there try to reposition wipers for timing? Or do I need to do something in particular?

Back