home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
240-FAN
Board Member

Default Going from B cam to M cam

Few years ago I had installed a B cam and Daleís gear at +4 degrees on my B230F 244.
Planning on installing the stock M cam and the standard cam gear back on.

Any tips/advise to do this without having to do the entire timing belt job?
My thought was:
1. Get the cooling shroud and cooling fan off
2. Line up the marks
3. Use the handy dandy crank holding tool - get the cam gear off while having the belt and cam gear zip tied to keep them lined up
4. Hereís a messy portion now:
A. Swap out the cams - but how do I know where the TDC/0 degrees is?
Would it mean that I put back the M cam and the Daleís gear - independently move the cam shaft and gear to 0 degree and then simply swap in the stock gear?
B. Once step A above is done, put the belt back and Iím good to go?

Thanks much!
240-FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
spock345
Board Member

It would probably be easier to just remove the timing belt. Especially if you are also replacing the timing gear. I have pulled off one cam swap where I put a clamp on the belt just below the cam gear to hold it all in place and timed right. Although that was just the cam and not the gear.

The little roll pin in the cam will let you know where TDC is on the cam. Also just turn the motor to TDC before disassembly.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
240-FAN
Board Member

Thanks for the response. I’m not doing a timing belt job because everything related to timing is 2 years old with about 7-8k miles.

Just wanting to do a camshaft and gear change back to stock as I’m considering selling the car.
The dowel pin suggestion is a good one - it needs to line up with the “slant” of the engine, correct? And at TDC, the first lobe (from front of car) will also be pointing with the slant of the engine?
Old 12-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
spock345
Board Member

There should be a marking on the back half of the plastic timing belt cover right behind the cam gear.

Even if you re-use the timing belt it is an easier time just to take the whole thing apart if you are replacing the gear.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
philski o'flood
Board Member

you're going to need to take everything apart and do it the right way
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
240-FAN
Board Member

Fair enough. I’m starting to tear the front end apart. While I’m at it, might as well replace the head gasket which has an external oil leak.

I was surprisingly able to break free all the exhaust manifold nuts.
I needed advise on:
1. Do I get the Mahle or Elring head gasket set off RockAuto? Any preference between either?
2. Also any thoughts on whether I need to replace the head bolts? If so, RockAuto has many choices as well? Any preference here between Elring, Victor Reinz or Mahle?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240-FAN View Post
Fair enough. Iím starting to tear the front end apart. While Iím at it, might as well replace the head gasket which has an external oil leak.

I was surprisingly able to break free all the exhaust manifold nuts.
I needed advise on:
1. Do I get the Mahle or Elring head gasket set off RockAuto? Any preference between either?
2. Also any thoughts on whether I need to replace the head bolts? If so, RockAuto has many choices as well? Any preference here between Elring, Victor Reinz or Mahle?
Stepping into opinion territory here...
If it was my car I'd go Elring and re-use the bolts.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
240-FAN
Board Member

Thank you. I’ll get the Elring set off RA. Any reason to re-use the head bolts? Sorry this is my first big engine project.

I also took pictures of the exhaust side of the engine with the manifold off.
Cylinder 1 has some oil in it.

The other cylinder ports (?) are dry but covered in black exhaust which I assume is normal?
Will changing the head gasket fix the leak into the exhaust manifold? Or is this a bigger project than a head gasket change?
This is cyl 2

This is cyl 3 - what’s the white scoring? Exhaust valve burning out? Or is that a coolant leak? Coolant level hasn’t dropped in 2 years which is when I did the last timing belt job.

This is cyl 4 - it’s sootier than cyl 2 and 3

Last edited by 240-FAN; 12-18-2020 at 03:23 PM..
Old 12-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Thank you. Iíll get the Elring set off RA. Any reason to re-use the head bolts? Sorry this is my first big engine project.

I also took pictures of the exhaust side of the engine with the manifold off.
Cylinder 1 has some oil in it.

The other cylinder ports (?) are dry but covered in black exhaust which I assume is normal?
Will changing the head gasket fix the leak into the exhaust manifold? Or is this a bigger project than a head gasket change?
This is cyl 2

This is cyl 3 - whatís the white scoring? Exhaust valve burning out? Or is that a coolant leak? Coolant level hasnít dropped in 2 years which is when I did the last timing belt job.

This is cyl 4 - itís sootier than cyl 2 and 3
IMGUR is blocked at my work, so can't opine on the pics.
But...
As far as head bolts, by the book, the head bolts are to be replaced on B230s every time the head comes off.
I have done it both ways, replacing and not, and am not convinced that it actually matters.
A quick kiss with the wire wheel and a squirt of clean engine oil on the old bolts while you put it back together is how I would do it on my engine.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
240-FAN
Board Member

Thanks. I’ll purchase the Mahle bolts just in case. If the head bolts come out fine, I’ll re-use them.

Any one else have thoughts on the oil leak in cylinder 1 and the white residue in cylinder 3?
I guess, is this car worth fixing? Or does this make for a great deal on local Craigslist?
Old 12-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
spock345
Board Member

Might just be valve stem seals.

The white residue looks like that cylinder is running a bit lean.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
esmth
Board Member

it is normal on these engines for cylinder 2 and 3 to run leaner than 1 and 4
Old 12-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
quillc
yv1a.com

Looks like a little bit of blowby on cyl1. Could be rings, but probably the valve stem seal. You should install new valve stem seals with the head off anyway. Only the intake valves have seals.

Elring gaskets and seals are the way to go. You can get a 'head set' from Elring that includes the HG, intake/exhaust gaskets, valve stem seals, hushers. It may come with a water pump gasket, but I can't remember.

Anytime I do a HG on these cars, i replace the water pump as well. I also replace the front main and layshaft seals.

You should have the head pressure checked and surfaced. If you want to bump compression, you can mill it a shade.

Lastly, I also always just go to head studs. I've never had a HG failure after installing studs. if you are selling the car, that may be overkill.

Chris
Old 12-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #14
spock345
Board Member

Last I checked an elring head gasket kit is around $50-60. New front seals would be another $20. Head bolts are $30 a set.

All said and done I would be surprised if it costs more than $200 counting in some machine shop time for resurfacing the head.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #15
cmsuter
Board Member

I'm pretty sure I read that the factory head bolts are non-stretch bolts. Stretch Bolts need to be replaced every time but because these are not stretch bolts, reusing them is fine. Could be wrong about that, but I reused mine based on that info and it turned out fine.
cmsuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
240-FAN
Board Member

I’m most likely going to sell the car because I got my hands on a single owner 940 and I can’t really justify having 2 bricks (not to mention the apt folks here won’t let me have more than 1 car anyways...)
What are the odds that I’ll be able to get away with simply replacing the gasket? I’m asking because if I have to take the head somewhere to get it surfaced/milled, I’m screwed because none of the local shops around here had any interest in doing it when I called them up. The HG leak isn’t bad at all. It’s just a mild external oil seep and I would rather not create a bigger set of problems than what I already have.

Water pump and front seals are new from 2 years ago along with rest of the timing belt stuff (about 7k miles).
Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Iím most likely going to sell the car because I got my hands on a single owner 940 and I canít really justify having 2 bricks (not to mention the apt folks here wonít let me have more than 1 car anyways...)
What are the odds that Iíll be able to get away with simply replacing the gasket? Iím asking because if I have to take the head somewhere to get it surfaced/milled, Iím screwed because none of the local shops around here had any interest in doing it when I called them up. The HG leak isnít bad at all. Itís just a mild external oil seep and I would rather not create a bigger set of problems than what I already have.

Water pump and front seals are new from 2 years ago along with rest of the timing belt stuff (about 7k miles).
I think the odds are pretty good.
If I were you, I would get a box of fresh razor blades, and clean up the head and block as best I could and send it. Change blades frequently. Might even consider using Permatex Copper Coat on the new HG also.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #18
240-FAN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
I think the odds are pretty good.
If I were you, I would get a box of fresh razor blades, and clean up the head and block as best I could and send it. Change blades frequently. Might even consider using Permatex Copper Coat on the new HG also.
Got it. Thatís a little re-assuring to hear. Will using razor blades and brake cleaner do the trick?
Also, for the head bolts torquing, do I need an angle meter to measure the 90 degrees turn or can I eye ball it as closely as possible?

Also, for the copper permatex, would that be on both sides of the gasket?

Thanks everyone for chipping in!
Old 12-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Yes, 90 degrees angle torque can be eyeballed. It would be a quarter turn. Use the copper spray on both sides of the head gasket. I like to clean the block using small abrasive discs. They are made for brake discs but work well on the block. But do not use them on the head. That is good with the scraper and cleaning spray.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
240-FAN
Board Member

Got it, that’s helpful! I’ve ordered the Elring set off RA and Victor Reinz bolts just in case.
For the abrasive discs, do you have any recommendations on which ones?

Would this work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-2-Pack-F...g-Pads/3033612
Old 12-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #21
philski o'flood
Board Member

emery cloth on the block
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #22
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

yes pads like that would work.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
240-FAN
Board Member

USPS took only forever to deliver the bits and pieces I needed for the cam seal and camshaft change. The HG kits has been shipped twice and both times USPS has done a wonderful job of losing the packages. And the apt folks have sent me plenty of nasty letters asking me to remove the 2nd car off the property (now that the 940SE sits in my assigned parking spot). Anywho...

Did the cam swap back to M cam and removed the upper strut bars and the diesel sway bars. I had removed the exhaust manifold as well to attempt the HG change but with parts not being available I can't really keep the car here much longer. HG leak is very very tiny anyways (about 0.5 quarts loss every 5k miles OCI).

Car starts and runs fine EXCEPT:
The exhaust manifold leaks. I put new gaskets on there which were paper/cork. Bolts were torqued to 21lb-ft (Haynes says 23lb-ft and old posts I found here say 16-18 lb-ft). There's no smoke from the exhaust mani at start up but within a 2-3 mins the leak is pretty apparent.

Can the gurus here please advise on what the secret is to remove the leak? Prior to installing the new gasket, I did use a plastic scraper and cleaned up the mating surfaces as much as possible. Also, the original Volvo gaskets from 1990 seemed to be made of a different material (it seems thicker and almost as if they have a thin metal layer in there)?
Old 01-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I think you mean the gasket for the front pipe to manifold. That is supposed to be a layered metal gasket. Sometimes I use two on a car with a warp to the flange on the front pipe. Get some gaskets that are elring or reinz brand and they will be the correct material.

edit:I tighten those three bolts pretty tight. Something like 35ftlb or so.

Last edited by dl242gt; 01-21-2021 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: add comment
Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #25
240-FAN
Board Member

Thanks for the response. I was referring to the 4 little gasket per runner/port of the exhaust side - the one that sits between the head and the exhaust header.

Here’s the part I’m referring to: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ld+gasket,5400