• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

90+ Manifold porting

drift256

-Hey guys, I recently picked up a 15G that I will be swapping in a few weeks. While I've got the manifold out I was to port it a bit along with the exhaust housing on the 15G.

-My question is should I purchase a T3 turbo gasket and port the housing and manifold to match that, then use the T3 gasket when I mount the turbo? I haven't taken the turbo off yet so I don't know what the gasket looks like. I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts before getting started.

-Also, should I go ahead and get a gasket set for the manifold to head, and a new one for the turbo the the downpipe? Thanks for the help.

Search and you will find many pictures and discussions covering this topic already.

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=233098

MoteurVolvo047.jpg

MoteurVolvo046.jpg

MoteurVolvo043.jpg

MoteurVolvo053.jpg

MoteurVolvo052.jpg

MoteurVolvo049.jpg

Her is the pics, as said...

Yes I have read through that thread. What I need to know is if you then use the t3 flange when you reinstall the turbo on the manifold. Thanks.

Just use the OE volvo gasket. No reason to use a T3 gasket.

Also, do not port it as big as shown above. Unless you think killing gas velocity is a good idea.

It will be fine when you match the manifold to the turbine inlet, in my opinion.

Yes I have read through that thread. What I need to know is if you then use the t3 flange when you reinstall the turbo on the manifold. Thanks.

Like Sjeng said use the right gasket. Or just use Rtv...

Also, do not port it as big as shown above. Unless you think killing gas velocity is a good idea.

It will be fine when you match the manifold to the turbine inlet, in my opinion.

Good opinion. Porting to that extent would probably promote scavenging of the exhaust gasses along with a decrease in velocity.

Last edited:
Does your 15g have the volvo shelf on the turbine inlet? Then I would use the T3 gasket as a guide to make the hole as large as the gasket opening. Then mount the turbo without a gasket fitted to the shelf on the manifold which is made to mount up to Volvo turbos without a gasket.

I’ll take a look at it. I believe it’s a 15g from an 850 but from what I remember it was a flat mounting surface.

if the 15g is a volvo unit, you don't need to port anything-it's already oval. I'd like to see some ebr numbers before and after on these sort of massive port jobs right there at the collector... I suspect it's a rather large waste of time.

Just use the OE volvo gasket. No reason to use a T3 gasket.

I dont see how porting the manifold like that would kill exhaust velocity with how high the EBR with that tiny 15g would be. I would suspect the manifold out flows turbine housings nearly double that size.

Erland Cox says you don’t want to do this. There’s no reason to take a small hole, make it twice as large, only to neck back down into a small hole again. That makes an expansion chamber to slow the gasses down but then try and speed them back up again by restricting them down into a tiny snail. A better thing to do is to keep the small 90+ opening and make the turbo’s inlet the same size by filling it in. But, that’s obviously more complicated than just removing material.

Erland Cox says you don?t want to do this. There?s no reason to take a small hole, make it twice as large, only to neck back down into a small hole again. That makes an expansion chamber to slow the gasses down but then try and speed them back up again by restricting them down into a tiny snail. A better thing to do is to keep the small 90+ opening and make the turbo?s inlet the same size by filling it in. But, that?s obviously more complicated than just removing material.

Thank you!!!

Haha, sure! He posted it on here somewhere, but it’s hard to search for...

Back