home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
mossymemedogg

Default '90 DL Stalls When Driving

Hello everybody,

I have been having some issues with my 240 for some time now, The car starts okay but it occasionally stalls out after hitting a significant bump or pothole, it will start back up after it dies but it cranks over a lot before it starts. It idles and drives fine, it only seems to stall after going over a bump.

So far I have replaced in this order; fuel pressure regulator, distributor, plugs, plug wires, main fuel pump+filter, in-tank fuel pump, fuel pump relay.
I am not very experienced mechanically and it is becoming frustrating replacing all this stuff and still having issues with the car.

Any thoughts about what could be the problem?
mossymemedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
woodenpudden
lacks goats

See if it stalls if you jiggle the key. Otherwise, I'd guess wiring for your ignition trigger is flaky, either at the distributor or the crank position sensor at back of the block (LH2.2 or 2.4, respectively). Other things that like to shake loose over sharp bumps: loose fuse holders. Check the fuses, make sure they're all copper or brass contacts or the glass tube style while you're at it, and make sure they're all nice and tight, not loose/super easy to spin or jiggle around.

Flunt delivers!
woodenpudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Sounds like a connection/wiring problem to me if it's from a good jounce. Check grounds and connectors as well as double check your fuse block for corrosion.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC w/condenser fan, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Sounds like a connection/wiring problem to me if it's from a good jounce. Check grounds and connectors as well as double check your fuse block for corrosion.
yiss, forgot grounds on intake manifold and the strap from the head to the firewall are important 'uns
woodenpudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
nel621
Board Member

No help, most likely something electrical, thinking CPS. But quick question. Does it happen with a full tank of gas or only when low? I ask because you mentioned you replaced the in-tank pump but did not say anything about the small rubber hose from pump to tube. Could be an issue.
nel621 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
mossymemedogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
No help, most likely something electrical, thinking CPS. But quick question. Does it happen with a full tank of gas or only when low? I ask because you mentioned you replaced the in-tank pump but did not say anything about the small rubber hose from pump to tube. Could be an issue.

So far since I replaced the pump it has had a full tank, I did not replace the small section of hose, it looked to be in decent condition when i did the pump.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Don't forget to jiggle the wiring for the engine speed sensor. It is at the back of the engine on the firewall. They fail especially if your car still has an original one.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
mossymemedogg

so far I went to go try to figure some thing out, the crank position sensor wires look okay but i am going to test them with the car running, the car started fine this morning but it wouldn't even start. I used a multi meter to test the voltage across the ignition coil and with the multimeter connected to the positive and negative blades of the coil, i tried to start it and it fired right up, ran for a few seconds then died, displaying ~.7v at idle. An ignition trouble shooting guide i read on volvoforums.com said that if there is .7-1.3v across the terminals of the coil it should be replaced. I am thinking of stopping by advanced auto and grabbing one of the MSD Blaster 2 coils, will this work in my car?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Slow down. Put down the parts gun. Do some diag.

When the car doesn't restart is there spark? Start there. If no spark consider tossing a powerstage at it as an educated guess. Crank sensor is another common one. And fuel pump relay. Learn to diag these with a test light and a wiring diagram.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Slow down. Put down the parts gun. Do some diag.

The Parts Cannon Approach can be quite expensive and take just as long as properly working through diagnostic procedures and flow charts to pinpoint the one or two failed components. But hey, at least you'll have a dozen other new parts.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
dl242gt
Can play the blues

The ignition amp is right near the battery. A perfect location for corrosion or part failure to cause intermittent stalling.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
mossymemedogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The ignition amp is right near the battery. A perfect location for corrosion or part failure to cause intermittent stalling.
Agreed, I have bent hood hinges so that's definitely a possibility. Hopefully I can limp her home and do some diagnostics.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Buy a test lamp.
ZVOLV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
mossymemedogg

Crank Position Sensor was the culprit.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
ZVOLV