• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

E85/FlexFuel on lh2.4 ?

MrKrabs

I posted these questions on the Facebook group, and I'll try my luck here. Basically trying to gain some info to be able to drive on e85 with my setup for the least amount of money !

-What are the biggest injectors lh2.4 can handle on stock 016 maf without having to map the fuel chip for them?

-I want to run e85 (1/2 the price of unleaded here), heard lh2.4 can adapt enough for full e85 safely, making the car essentially flex fuel. Is this correct?

-Can someone map me a fuel chip for my setup: b200ft, 15g, 3" exhaust, 531 head, vx3 cam & whatever cc injectors it takes to run ~17 psi on e85 (green giants?)? I'd need to be able to run unleaded when travelling aboad from time to time, it's ok if the car has to re-learn the setup everytime.

Mine ran good on e85.

I run chips from bti - http://bijlsmatechnicalinnovations.nl/

Edit, forgot to mention, long day, of course with bigger injectors. No issues, even running regular gas, it would adapt fast. Cold starts on pure e85 were more difficult till I changed the start fuel map or something.

Combined with a 984 ecu is really good and fast to adapt. I had to run injectors that were much smaller for a test and without reset it adapter in less than a minute. E85 not available anymore.. Sadly.

Last edited:
Wut? All you have to do is swap to 550cc injectors to run E85 with stock size AMM on a turbo redblock with lh2.4. Otherwise it will run lean and boom. With E85 you can run it rich and it still has full power unlike gas if you run it rich it looses power.

LH 2.4 can not adjust for E85 if you turbo car is stock, if you put in say 440cc injectors it might be able to adjust and swap back and forth, resetting ECU in between changes in fuel.

On my old E85 race car with lh2.4 I ran 3 inch AMM and 75lb injectors and a fuel map tune with even more fuel and it ran great. I did 12.61 in quarter mile with 15g turbo. Also I grounded the pins in EZK for 6 degrees advance across the board along with ignition tune also.

With the stock chip 470cc injectors would be perfect for E85. Fuel cut will be an issue with boost pressure above ca. 0.8 to 1.0bar.
Back when E85 was sold in Germany I ran a switchable chip with two seperate bin files. I developed the files for some time, so in the end the needed learning of the ECU after switching was only noticeable with the wideband O2 sensor, driveability was good. Also I coupled the Gasoline/E85 switch with a simple two step boost controller to use more of the ethanols potential.

I theoretically could burn said chip for you and also have the parts for another bin switcher, but I am not shure, how well it would work with your engine. Do you have a wideband lambda gauge?

You could just change the injectors back for gasoline, if you dont have to switch frequently. It takes about 5 minutes.

I've read that E85 requires 40% more fuel. What about using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with higher flow injectors?

I've got a fuel tune from thelostartof that actually handles either pump or E85 pretty well, but I'm on a custom spark map. 3" AMM and #65 injectors, runs low 13's right now, with plenty more when I get a good spark map.

E85 is not always E85. E85 in AZ can be anywhere from E50 to E90, I have a E85 sensor in my car and last batch was E70.

on stock its is 440 boschgreen what you want.. 280 000 558 Boschn? after all these years, still have the numbers in my brain ;)

With 012amm it is 630cc you will need.. be prepared for ultimate rough cold start.. installed stonis injector triggerbox where you could manually fireup the injectors to prime the chambers with some fuel before flooding them while cranking ;)

e85 would kill your gasoline pump,so get a e85 capable pump and bypass inline pump,i run green aem pump in both of my cars with no issues

You could just change the injectors back for gasoline, if you dont have to switch frequently. It takes about 5 minutes.
yes. and get use to removing those injectors to clean the gunk e85 leaves in the tips,wd works best for cleaning that kind of gunk

Dunno about killing the pump. I ran the run of the mill Walbro 255 in-tank for 4 years on straight E85 with no issues. I swapped to an AEM Green 320 for size and I got a deal on it, but the Walbro did the job fine.

Yeah I ran 12.61 in the quarter mile on E85 with stock turbo 740 pumps. Ran E85 in that car for a few years till the flywheel exploded. 3 inch AMM, 75lb injectors, ground the EZK for more advance. Also had tuned ignition map and ECU tune with fuel maxxed out! I found with E85 more fuel is better especially low down torque wise. Like 35 in fourth with getrag overdrive 5 speed and 3.31 ratio. Sneeking through town.. A cam straight pipe!

Last edited:
Heard you should be careful when you first start using it, use 1 gal E85 to 9 gal gas, then next fill up 2 gals E85 and so on so the crud it cleans out of your fuel system is gradual. Ran E85 in my 89 740t stock for years no problem, sometimes harder to start on pure e85 so did 50/50 gas and e85.

did anyone find a good solution to removing the inline pump and replacing it with a direct fit filter?

i had to adapt to different hose size and run a diesel audi filter i had but i don't really like using that huge filter with adapters because when ambient temp changes the pipe fitting thread of the adapters seem to sweat a little.

how long should a car learn with a mixture of ethanol and fuel before driving it harder? or should it be safer than using gas only?

For the 7/9 crowd, a 135* 12mm or 14mm to 1/2" hose back to the hardline works just fine, then keep the stock filter.

For relearning, if you're just throwing in a couple gallons in a fillup, give it a couple miles and you're set, usually see a difference right off. If you're switching to 50% or greater, ease into it for the first 50-100 miles and you should be fine. If you're running straight, do a 50/50 mix the tank before, then going to straight, ease into it for the first 50-100 miles then you should be fine.

Awesome info guys!! I got 390cc injectors @3.8 bars for cheap and asked TLAO for a fuel chip to go with my setup.
Gonna use an ajustable FPR too to get as much fuel as possible.
Anyone know's the limit of the stock pump ? My car is a 97' so has the single intank one. How high of a pressure can I dial my for at before running out of pump?

Awesome info guys!! I got 390cc injectors @3.8 bars for cheap and asked TLAO for a fuel chip to go with my setup.
Gonna use an ajustable FPR too to get as much fuel as possible.
Anyone know's the limit of the stock pump ? My car is a 97' so has the single intank one. How high of a pressure can I dial my for at before running out of pump?

The Bosch main pump used on 700/900 cars was also used for VW/Audi cars that had K-jet...so 75 psi?

Back