• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

P2R Axlelelelelele question/quandry/curiosity

linuxman51

Railspeeder Enthusiast #1
300+ Club
Aight. So legend has it M66 passenger side axles are nigh unobtainium, except for what amounts to straight from the dealer. Internet lore also states that they are different from the automatic AWD axles, and this much I can confirm, though I'm certain I'm not the first to do so (though I will say, I'm unsure of the mode of failure when using them save for perhaps an incomplete mesh inside the transmission. That is not the only difference, however)

Anyway, in my parts quest I have come across a couple different part numbers, and been told a few things that appear to be incorrect, and this is where my questions lay:

1) Dealer told me, based on my VIN (maybe..), the part number I'm looking for is 8252047-9. This appears to be the automatic axle (reckon "Manual transmission" was misinterpreted, or the VIN does not designate.. or the guy just ignored it, who the hell knows). This number is the current number superceeding the original of 36000531, which also cross references to the aw55 or whatever the hell that thing is.

2) 8252051. This is fairly commonly found on a number of parts websites, including tasca, and in fact was what I was about to order the other night, but upon further searching (and clicking stupid little things like "this also fits the following vehicles") it appears this number cross references to a number of different cars and configurations (which seems counter to internet lore). The picture, however, *looks* exactly like my axle.

Which then brings us to
3) 8252061. This has a much narrower scope of fitment (strictly s60/v70 from 04-07, with M66 awd, 2.5L turbo), and the picture also looks exactly like my axle.

So...which is it? 061 is a little cheaper than 051 but nothing to write home about really, some have a core charge associated with them (that probably wouldn't cover return shipping anyway). There's also another one floating around out there, 8252055, with the same cross reference list as the 051.

I'm running on fumes sleep-wise, and feel like this may be contributing

I only looked quickly in VIDA. I didn't have your VIN to confirm. But,

M66 8252051
TF80 8252057
AW 3600053

There is only one option available when I put in the R engine designation, and then change the transmissions (I did a MY07 for the TF and M66, and a MY04 for the AW).

Jordan

When I search

051, I get s60/v70 01-09 M66 2.5L turbo (The R engine designation)
061 does not exist in VIDA
047 number they gave you fits some R with AW tranny.

FWIW the sites that have all this info are simplepart driven, if I could determine what the other part numbers actually fit, that'd answer the other half of the question. I've gotten a couple 'yea's for the 051.

I've never found an aftermarket axle that actually fits. Like you said, they're just parts basic part searches and don't really get into specifics. I get customers all the time that say they can find it on the internet cheaper. Bring it in. I'll do the work just to tell them "nope, this doesn't fit".

I should edit my post above to say when I search- I mean I search in VIDA. That 061 number applies to no known Volvo- and is not a part number for any part in Volvo's domain.

Jordan

No, I agree completely, I'll dig up the link, but it's from a dealer site, not carquest or any of those places (that will tell you it fits, but then you go to the actual part mfgr's site and it doesn't list it anywhere). That's where I got the part numbers, not a (no offense to anyone) rock-auto/worldpac type of site. So when I say price differences, we're not talking $500, we're talking $50 or $75, and the stock photos as well as the interchange information are fairly consistent. What got me was the cross reference information.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Axle-shaft--exch/9982249/8252061.html

vs
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Axle-shaft--exch/9982272/8252051.html

digging around, I think I've figured out the difference. Both axles are for M66 equipped awd V70xxx, what appears to be different is the joint at the end of the jackshaft. The R version of the joint is a longer slightly smaller 6-ball CV joint, the other (061) is the same "3 prong" style joint found on the automatics and most other axles along those lines.
the layout and machining on the jackshaft appears to be identical to the 051 axle.

A little background info on my situation, the 'cage' that holds the six balls in place is what has failed on my axle (not sure why, pretty sure that started before I bought the car). I'm now kinda curious whether or not the other style of joint might offer benefits over the cage style. Not sure I'm curious enough to gamble on it, but it does appear to be a correct part for an M66 awd equipped V70 (diesel. lol)

edit: pictures of the 061 axle exist, they're just all overseas hahaha

Last edited:
Nope, I can search a PN without a vehicle profiled. And that 61 PN does not exist in Vida for any car

An M66 fwd has PN 8252049

Weird, volvopartswebstore application guide lists it for 05-07 cars...but with a 2.5t, hmm

Weird, volvopartswebstore application guide lists it for 05-07 cars...but with a 2.5t, hmm

It's totally possible that they've pulled the numbers from an older version of VIDA, and that the PN changed up at some point, and it actually got changed in VIDA. I could go to my parts guy with that PN, and see if it does change up to something else.

It could be an oversea's thing. We have to select a region in VIDA, which limits us to the parts we can see (IE North America only, so we don't see diesel stuff etc)

I wonder if they use the 6 ball cage type because it is suppose to be stronger? If you are able to "fit" the tripod type in place of the cage style axle (same size, bolts in etc), there must have been some reason they saw fit to fit the cage style?

It's totally possible that they've pulled the numbers from an older version of VIDA, and that the PN changed up at some point, and it actually got changed in VIDA. I could go to my parts guy with that PN, and see if it does change up to something else.

It could be an oversea's thing. We have to select a region in VIDA, which limits us to the parts we can see (IE North America only, so we don't see diesel stuff etc)

I wonder if they use the 6 ball cage type because it is suppose to be stronger? If you are able to "fit" the tripod type in place of the cage style axle (same size, bolts in etc), there must have been some reason they saw fit to fit the cage style?

maybe? a quick look at the torque specs for the D5 vs the R engine shows similar torque at similar rpms, but the intended use of the cars would obviously be different. these are the stupid rabbit holes I go down when I don't get my beauty rest lol

Last axle I had to replace on my P2R came with an urgent warning from the dealer: this is one of the last ones available, don't screw this one up.

This was 2 years ago.

Last axle I had to replace on my P2R came with an urgent warning from the dealer: this is one of the last ones available, don't screw this one up.

This was 2 years ago.

Had parts check. Lots of availability. Two in the WA warehouse alone.

That 61 number. It does work in Volvo parts world BUT it's on permanent back order. That typically means not for our market

That myth is sorta correct, but replacement is doable. Been there, done that. I bought a pass side M66 salvage axle from a scrapper, then sent it off to CVJ to get rebuilt. That was back when the info wasn't as readily available....

Now that i've wised up, the axle is actually not that difficult to work out. The most difficult part to obtain is the bearing cage -- not available from Volvo, GKN, or any other generic equivalent. Supposedly, the bearing cage is the same as on the D side, which is easy to obtain. From there, you just send off your axle with said bearing cage to get rebuilt.

Hell, if you really need I have my old axle (sans bearing cage) hanging around.

More importantly, what's happened?? Taking this axle out and getting the used one back on your own in is a PITA. When installing, if you don't get the axle quite straight into the trans/bevel gear, it tends to cause a gearbox leak. Plus, if you reinstall the old one (bad idea), the axle has a tendency to literally fall apart at the inner joint. There is nothing holding this axle together aside from the boot and being sandwiched between the knuckle and the trans.

Back