• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to measure driveshaft

oifish

I'm feeling extra zazzzy
I'm looking to replace my u-joints, and I'd like to get Moog parts (unless anyone has better options?). Moog has 2 selections 3.5" yoke OD (Part #280) and 3.25" yoke OD (part #344). Am I just measuring the driveshaft itself to get that measurement or is there somewhere else to get the correct diameter?

There are really only three standard auto sized U-joints.

102Driveshaftdiameters.jpg

1210, 1310 and 1330

All volvos are either 1210 or 1310 and there is a pretty obvious difference.

One lesion I learned in my journey is that the circlips also come in 3 thicknesses at the drive shaft balance store. The ones that come with the joint will probably work fine but if the joint seems too tight there are thinner ones available.

There are really only three standard auto sized U-joints.

102Driveshaftdiameters.jpg

1210, 1310 and 1330

All volvos are either 1210 or 1310 and there is a pretty obvious difference.

One lesion I learned in my journey is that the circlips also come in 3 thicknesses at the drive shaft balance store. The ones that come with the joint will probably work fine but if the joint seems too tight there are thinner ones available.

My M47 driveshaft has 1300's on it except the end that has a 1330 that I had welded on

And don't forget to smear some nasty black bearing grease on the rollers, so they don't drop out of their factory chicken fat 'grease', fall into the cup to be squished, flattened slightly and become a "maybe it's still good maybe it's not".

:x:

To answer your actual question since nobody seems to know:

As far as measuring it's a width or cup to cup measurement, you can zero your calipers on a couple small nuts set them on the cups [to clear the yoke] and then measure the difference without removing the U joint .

Last edited:
Back