home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
84B23F
Board Member

Default Rotor Position: TDC

New timing belt was installed, with crank, intermediate shaft, and cam in correct positions.

What is correct position for rotor in relation to distributor cap?

When looking at this photo below, were would center of rotor be in relation distributor-cap's hole number one electrode?

RE: LH 2.4

84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
bobxyz
Board Member

- Crank engine around until the crank is at TDC
- Check through oil cap that #1 cam lobes are both upwards (rotate engine another full turn if not)
- Rotor tip should overlap with groove on edge of disti (remove disti and rotate to next gear tooth if mis-aligned)

Here's a picture of a LH2.4 disti with rubber alignment block in the slot. (The bolt hole was slightly off when I took the picture, but only by a little.)
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
84B23F
Board Member

Thanks...I was using that line mark on distributor, but when examining distributor-cap's hole #1, the center of the rotor is a bit clockwise.

Engine starts, but shakes at idle, then smooths out with RPM, which may suggest when timing is advancing, rotor is not sending spark to 3rd hole. No power.

I'll have to check wiring/etc....I've double checked timing belt twice now...PIA
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
bobxyz
Board Member

The centerline of the rotor will be past the disti groove when at TDC. When running, the spark fires ~ 5 to 20 degrees earlier (10 to 40 crank degrees), so the alignment is OK.

If it's rough at idle, check that all the plugs wires are fully seated and that the injector connectors are seated too.

You can try a power balance test, where you pull one injector connector at a time, and see if they all cause about the same drop in idle. If one injector makes no difference, then that injector or spark plug isn't working well.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
84B23F
Board Member

RE: "...rough at idle, check that all the plugs wires are fully seated and that the injector connectors are seated too."

New sparks, flow tested 5 injectors (cold start + 4), water pump, water hoses, thermostat, timing belt, idler, seals (crank, cam, immediate), clutch fan, CPS, PCV Oil Trap, etc., were all done.

I forgot to plug in injector 4's plug....duh!

Thanks again...