• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Birthing a custom manifold with 120v welder

LeedomtoFreedom

I'm a pretty decent shot on my peashooter 120v welder and wan't to make an exhaust manifold that's better flowing than a 90+

I'm obviously just worried that the welder won't penetrate the thick parts like the flange to the head. I could get a thinner flange but that can get too thin too quick. I don't have access to any 240v welder because my old highschool doesn't want me using their equipment anymore (liability)

Wondering if anyone's done it, if it's even possible. Most likely would add a support bracket because the hx35 is pretty heavy on it's own.

Bevel all your joints, crank the voltage, it'll be fine.

What size wire are you using?

Preheat will be your friend. Heat parts to 150-200 degrees, then weld. Won't be a problem with 120V welder and 1.50" Sched40. Bevel all of the weld connections, and have the flanges bolted to a cylinder head/turbo while welding those areas to prevent warping. Get it done, post pics.

What size wire are you using?

.8mm wire which seems to work fine but I don't think I'd go any thicker.

Is there any flange blanks for a 16v head or like what's the best way to do that. I could get my machinist to make a flange possibly but if there's something out there then why not use that. I'll look around but if anyone knows of one offhand then that works too.

I'll be sure to document the pristine workmanship of my manifold so everyone can learn from my mistakes.

or find the correct CAD file (the files are here somewhere) load file to a disc and take to your local water jet shop.

I built mine with a 115v dc tig. Just pay attention to your bevels. When it comes time to do the flange, bevel the id of the flange, and tap pipes into them until the bevels are hellafrush.

I'm about to do a whole 16v swap with HX35 and probably some custom stuff involved.

Would the forum benefit from some decent documentary work on this?

Another question. Has anyone taken a prebuilt mani (doesn't even have to be for a b230ftk16v) and cut and welded a flange that matches?

Just a weird thought. If you think it's psycho then say so

Another question. Has anyone taken a prebuilt mani (doesn't even have to be for a b230ftk16v) and cut and welded a flange that matches?

Just a weird thought. If you think it's psycho then say so

The ford 2.3 turbo manifold is similar but I don't know how it would fit with a 16v. The spacing of exhaust ports is very close. This is something that I've consider as well but haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Link to one on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1993-...h=item1a15b8d2c2:g:booAAOSw2ENW8cHf:rk:3:pf:0

Back