• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 T5wc swap engine braking noise

volvoboy90

sanna kärlek är svensk
Good evening everyone, so I just got my t5 world class installed this last weekend. God all of the adapter stuff from yoshifab, transmission and driveshaft were new from jegs.

So i have noticed when engine braking, particularly if I am in higher revs, 3,500-4,000 (haven't pushed it harder yet) in 4th gear that I think I am hearing some gear clatter going on. Once I hear it, I usually either lightly apply the gas or put in the clutch and it goes away.

Transmission was filled with ATF. Not entirely sure if this is normal, and just wearing the transmission in, or what.

These type noises?
AFAIK...many have the same issues. Tfrasca bought a new T5Z and it made the noise.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcjU71iTPmo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3_lVlGC9H_A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish I could tell you there is a surefire solution. I have tried a few different things with no resolution and have just decided to live with it as have others :/.
-adjusted pinion / trans angles
-ensured engine/trans/axle all horizontally aligned
-added slip yoke with damper (made it slightly better)
-replaced u-joints in old driveshaft / new driveshaft

Last edited:
Good to know this is common enough. No evidence of damage occurring, I presume? Driveshaft is new so I wouldn't expect the u-joints to be causing noise... Not so soon, anyways.

Mine was not all that bad, until I put some pIPD poly bushing torque rods on the rear axle (originals were *shelled*). Then it was horrible. I kept assuming I'd screwed up the pinion angle, and I checked it, tweaked it (torque rod length/pinion angle as well as trans height/angle), checked it, tweaked it, and finally even just said &(*#$# and set it waaaay off upward and downward, all with very little change in the nasty vibrations. Worst at lower RPMS and in higher gear). 2000 rpm in 5th gear, step on the gas, SSSSSHHHUIIFDDDUDUURERRERRERR, the whole car would be vibrating.

Finally I put junkyard torque rods on the back and it went back to being just a bit bad, not horrible.

Dunno, I just sort of learned to avoid the worst problems. Some sort of harmonic issue(?) with the drivetrain? I don't think it was as bad when I had the 30 lb dogdish flywheel, but it wasn't great. So I can't say the light billet flywheel was causing it, but it may have been a minor contributor. Possibly also trans mount/engine mounts/ratchet torque strap/who knows.

This was using a 1-pc driveshaft, but after tryign all the possible extremes of trans and/or pinion angles and it not making much of a noticeable difference, I tend to think the driveshaft itself isn't the issue. Unless a 2-pc is somehow better at separating harmonics from the engine/trans and rear axle?

Remember that the t5s that were put in 4 cylinder applications had a big damper attached to the slip yoke.

When I redid mine I made sure to add a tiny amount of preload to the main and countershafts, per Paul Cangialosi's instructions (see the Eric the Car Guy videos too).

Mine still chatters when giving it full boost from ~2000 in 4th and 5th. I just don't think anything can be done about it, honestly.

I also get the vibration right at 2750-3000 RPM, in acceleration, cruise, and decel. Not quite as pronouned though.

Mine rattles too, Dampened yoke, good drive train angles, sometimes it just be like that.

I do think that my TOB rests slightly against the fingers when disengaged, so I feel like some of my rattle could be that, but I just live with it.

Thanks, everyone for putting my worries at ease. Looks like I'll just have to live with a new noise, or pull it out of gear once it starts up. Could be worse.

T5s are just noisy boxes, no matter the fluid. Also notice how most of the complaints are even with a "straight through" gear or the one gear outside of the main case (5th)? You can do everything you want to minimize the noise, but it will always be there to some degree...and just be amplified by poly/solid mounts and suspension bushings.

FWIW, my T5 doesn't do this and I'm on single piece aluminum DS (ford racing). It's a V6 T5 with whatever ATF in it. I had the whole thing open to look at the innards before it went in.

I'm also using an RSI poly trans mount...

Yup, noisy on mine as well. I'm running the Redline High Temp ATF since it's still a Dex3 spec, thickest Dex3 I could find. Got preload on the main and countershaft, V6 damped yoke as well. Swapping to the V6 yoke dropped the severity and rpm range of the vibration a good bit. I'd expect going to a yoke with the damper the size of the I4 Mustang damper would probably drop the vibration a lot.

Completely unrelated to the transmission itself, but I seem to be bending my pedal cage through use. Has anyone had this problem? Clutch cable moved freely and pressure plate is clutch masters from yoshifab

It's a heavy pressure plate. Bending the cage means the cable is probably also stretching. Engineer the system accordingly.

thread resurrection. I have been told by Tfrasca, gsellstr and Harald that my car has the quietest T5 they have heard in a 240, the only thing I can think of that might be helping beyond some pre-laod on the bearings is this cluster/countershaft bearing retainer I am running. I do not have a damper on the yoke either, and am using pretty standard ATF with some lucas oil. I also have a balanced 2 piece driveline

thread resurrection. I have been told by Tfrasca, gsellstr and Harald that my car has the quietest T5 they have heard in a 240, the only thing I can think of that might be helping beyond some pre-laod on the bearings is this cluster/countershaft bearing retainer I am running. I do not have a damper on the yoke either, and am using pretty standard ATF with some lucas oil. I also have a balanced 2 piece driveline

I can vouch for this. My brand new Summit T5z with the HUGE 4 cylinder damper from Ford is louder than Ryan's junkyard T5. Mine grinds into 5th, so I'll be replacing it with a .80 5th and will put this retainer in at that time.

Back