home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
240sleeper
Board Member

Default Unitek stage 4 head

Does anybody have information on unitek, more specifically stage 4 8 valve head. I've been looking online and haven't been able to come up with much of anything. Also who has ran unitek products? How's the quality overall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
If you aren't for us, you're against us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
If you're against us, you're one of us
240sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Unitek have a great reputation in Europe

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
qwkswede
faster than you think

I had a Unitek head about 12-13 years ago. Mike Aaro from Unitek used to pop on the forum sometimes. I haven't heard much from them for a very long time. I wasn't sure they were still in business.

About the head. It was really nothing special and was very expensive. It was just a mild port job with stock Valve sizes. I think mine was a "stage 3". But stages are stupid. It was a stock head with port work and nice rebuild work. I remember it being several thousand dollars.

The Volvo redblock performance world was much less developed in the US back then. So some people were happy to send money to the Swedish vendors to ship stuff over the pond. Things have changed though. We have knowledge here on Turbobricks and some US vendors that could do similar or better head work now. And probably cost much less money. There is even a good source for oversized valves that work in redblock motors right here in the US.
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
VB242
Mojo Stealer

My machinist said he would charge around $700 to rework, port and install larger valves. Seemed expensive at the time but sounds like a bargain after reading the above.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
project volvo
spoolakowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
My machinist said he would charge around $700 to rework, port and install larger valves. Seemed expensive at the time but sounds like a bargain after reading the above.
if mechanics charge over $100 an hour... and that includes parts and labor you can get a very good deal, it'd be nice to get it flowed though and for you to gain a good amount of flow.

project slowski (old project now gone)^^^

New Project Slug Works

my feedback thread here > FEEEEDBACK!!!!
project volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
240sleeper
Board Member

This is the info i received about it.

It's a untitek phase 4 head. Has 46mm exh and 38mm int valves. The ports have been redone for higher flow and balanced. The cam has 11.45mm lift I don't remember the duration. It been too long. I believe it was all set up to do 300+ hp.

Sound about right?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues

The first head I had done with D&F Performance in Berlin NJ was about $800 without parts. I had before and after flow testing and pressure testing done along with all the flow work. It was setup as a street performance head with stock valve sizes. I used a enem V15 turbo cam in it and it's now got about 65k miles on it. Makes good power at all rpms with a 6800rpm redline.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #8
240sleeper
Board Member

Any specific info would be great
Old 03-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
2barxr
Board Member

if we are talking a b230Ft head?

I would look at the exhaust side of the head it seems to the the holdup i put SS valves with a larger exhaust KL stage 2 cam and YoshiFab valve springs and cam gear

I did some porting on the head and i dropped it off to Josh at Yoshifab and he got work done and set up the cam for me

I have still not run it yet waiting for my Rad to be modded before I pull the car down but the Cam has got some good lift to it

The Cam
Duration of driving 280 degrees Camshaft 11,3mm Nock angle 112 degrees
TDC lifts approximately 2.5mm Valve 0.35mm Advantage track on camshaft: Yes Need lasch cap: Yes, 2.5mm thick is recommended

Tom
2barxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sleeper View Post
Any specific info would be great
I sent the chart info to gsellstrom here who has it in a spreadsheet that he linked to from the board. There is quite a bit of testing info now.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #11
240sleeper
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I sent the chart info to gsellstrom here who has it in a spreadsheet that he linked to from the board. There is quite a bit of testing info now.
I was referring to the unitek.stage 4 head. If anybody has specific info that would be great
Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sleeper View Post
I was referring to the unitek.stage 4 head. If anybody has specific info that would be great
Mike Aaro has specific numbers but I don't believe any of that information was ever shared. Don't know of anyone ever testing one here in the US. You could have yours flow tested and add it to the spreadsheet.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
240sleeper
Board Member

I'm getting a good deal on it so I'm going to pick it up. Not sure where I would have it flow tested or what it would cost though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Mike Aaro has specific numbers but I don't believe any of that information was ever shared. Don't know of anyone ever testing one here in the US. You could have yours flow tested and add it to the spreadsheet.

Last edited by 240sleeper; 03-23-2018 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #14
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
I had a Unitek head about 12-13 years ago. Mike Aaro from Unitek used to pop on the forum sometimes. I haven't heard much from them for a very long time. I wasn't sure they were still in business.

About the head. It was really nothing special and was very expensive. It was just a mild port job with stock Valve sizes. I think mine was a "stage 3". But stages are stupid. It was a stock head with port work and nice rebuild work. I remember it being several thousand dollars.

The Volvo redblock performance world was much less developed in the US back then. So some people were happy to send money to the Swedish vendors to ship stuff over the pond. Things have changed though. We have knowledge here on Turbobricks and some US vendors that could do similar or better head work now. And probably cost much less money. There is even a good source for oversized valves that work in redblock motors right here in the US.
This.... some people have--correctly--said "what's good with the Volvo head is good, just a little swish swish in the pockets and knock some corners off..What's bad is bad and there's nothing you can do except make it bigger"..
No need for bullsh*t fancy schmantzy "porting" or Brand Names,,

Especially not for a turbo application ferphuquessake

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
240sleeper
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
This.... some people have--correctly--said "what's good with the Volvo head is good, just a little swish swish in the pockets and knock some corners off..What's bad is bad and there's nothing you can do except make it bigger"..
No need for bullsh*t fancy schmantzy "porting" or Brand Names,,

Especially not for a turbo application ferphuquessake

I do know that it has larger valves, better valve springs and cam (although I could always swap in my RSI stage 2) so that alone would make it worth what I would be paying. Plus I'm pretty sure I blew out my head gasket running my 19t at 20 psi so I'll need to do a head gasket more than likely as it is and this would be ready to bolt on
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
240sleeper
Board Member

I ended up buying the head. As a nice little surprise I received this as well.

photo 20180419_005400.jpg
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #17
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Looks like some fun reading. 2003 is about the time of Mike Aaros last posts. There is a good article from him on the site here. http://www.turbobricks.com/specs/sohc_heads.php