• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aluminum hood

RedDragon

I'm going to prototype up an aluminum hood for my 740t.

I had two questions: does anyone know a good source for the metal? Home Depot sells aluminum sheets, for instance, but they seem too thin. Should I just check into local metal supply stores?

Second, I was thinking about building the center section of the hood a little taller than stock and leaving an opening or small grille in the front to bring in cool air either for the intake itself or to route down over the turbo to cool off the engine compartment. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Sean

P.S.: anyone already done this mod? Anyone want one after I get it all figgered out?

www.mcmaster.com this place is an industrial supply place they have a lot of stuff, might be cheaper to go through a metal supplier but for non bulk sales they are pretty good, fast shipping too.

why not speak to Volvo about getting one from thier european service car package (police/ambulance/etc)

probably be cheaper, and perfectly designed

Maybe I should track down an OEM aluminum hood and then do some mods to it?

That way, the dimensions would be correct to begin and I could still do the cold air intake.

Hmmm, thanks for the tips about the OEM and about mcmasters.

As far as I know Volvo didn't do any aluhoods for 700series, but i might be wrong...

IF they did I have to find one for my car :)

Remember that softer hood-springs were included in aluhood package...

JE Jr said:
As far as I know Volvo didn't do any aluhoods for 700series, but i might be wrong...

IF they did I have to find one for my car :)

Remember that softer hood-springs were included in aluhood package...

If i'm not mistaken some 740 Diesel had them....I just missed a deal on one locally...150$ canadian eh!

wasn't the right color ...but ithey seem to be quite rare

An Aluminum hood IS available for the 700 series, I have one sitting in my garage waiting to go on my car. They were available on some early model deisels. It is unbelievable how light they are compared to the stock steel hood

I know for certain that all late 760's ('88 onwards, with new dash and IRS for sedan) and 960 have aluminium hoods. However they're a bit different to the 740 or 940 hood, the aluminium one's are longer and doesn't have the scuttle panel, and mounting points are different too. To fit them will require quite a fair bit of modification.

Yes, Volvo used aluminum hoods on the 74os with the diesel engine. Who wants one? I can get one at the local U-Pull It, but shipping on this size item won't be cheap.

Volvord 784VC said:
An Aluminum hood IS available for the 700 series, I have one sitting in my garage waiting to go on my car. They were available on some early model deisels. It is unbelievable how light they are compared to the stock steel hood

So did you check the difference in weight?

how about the sound/heat shield is it the same as the regular hoods?

if it's alluminium, it's almost corrosion free right?

mine is rotten on the front lip...at least i would get rid of this problem on my car

so many questions. :roll: ;)

TerribleOne said:
this may be a silly question but are there any stock aluminum hoods for 200 series?

Yes, and also trunklids. But I don't know if you got them "over there"

They were on some cars in Sweden like police, Ambulances and such.

Maybe the "flathoods" also got them???

I have not actually weighed the difference between the two hoods but I can assure you that the aluminum hood is very light. As for corrosion, aluminum does corrode, or really oxidize but it is far more stable than steel. As for heat and sound deadening, the aluminum hood uses the same mat material as the steel hood

I just weighed the aluminum hood, it weighs 22 pounds. If anyone has a 700 series steel hood off their car it would be interesting to know the difference.

Back